16.

C H R I S T I N E

I felt a burden has been lifted off my shoulder as soon as I told Mathew about my mom. It weighted me down and I felt nervous. But when the news finally got out, it made me feel better.

The best thing he did is holding my hand. He squeezed it lightly which sent goosebumps up my arm. It was sweet of him to do that. He also didn't look at me like I was a charity case. He looked at me normally, like he always does. I got a feeling that he knows how it feels to be looked at pitifully.

I came the next morning as well to look after him. He was much better and got out of bed and took a shower.

I made us some breakfast which consisted of pancakes and bacon on the side. I don't like bacon that much but Mathew seems to love it. I laid the plates on the kitchen counter and I put the syrup bottle beside them. I decided to sit on my phone until Mathew finishes whatever he was doing.

After a few minutes he came down the stairs and I stared at him in disbelief.

"You can't go to work today, you're still sick." I said.

He was again back in a suit and tie.

"But I feel okay." He shrugged.

"You may feel okay now but you'll get tired later. Just rest today." I said.

"But.." He tried to speak but I cut him off.

"No buts." I said.

"Okay, mom." He rolled his eyes and I smirked.

Each one of us sit on a stool and started eating our breakfast in silence. It was comfortable and relaxing. I didn't feel the pressure of having to say something or break the silence and I'm sure he felt the same because he had a small smile on his face.

After breakfast we decided to watch some movies or some TV show.

We decided to watch Bones, he said it was a good series and I nodded my head. I didn't know that much about movies and series so I let him choose for us.

Halfway through the third episode, Mathew fell asleep on my shoulder. I smiled at him.

■■■

"I'm bored." I announced.

"What do you want to do?!" Mathew asked and I huffed. I had no idea what to do. I looked at the window for a second and smirked.

"Let's sit in the backyard." I said.

"Okay..." He frowned but he followed me to the back yard anyway.

The sky was clear, it was dark with no clouds. I wanted to gaze at the stars. I haven't done that in a while, ever since my mom got sick. We used to sit in the balcony every night and talk. I missed that. My mom became sick and I have a lot of work to do so we forgot about our little habit.

I laid down on the grass and glanced up at Mathew. He raised an eyebrow and I smiled a little.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"Looking at the sky! Join me." I patted the grass beside me. I heard him sigh before he laid next to me.

We laid there in silence before I spoke up.