Tatlumput-tatlo

E r i c

I drift away from the chaos that is the Dauntless army, quickly patting my pockets for a cigarette. The narcotic is illegal nowadays, and that fact gives me some sort of sick exhilaration as I roll it around with my fingers. 

I light it up with a lighter I found lying around on a table, placing its coloured edge on my lips and letting the smoke fill my lungs, drain my heart, and relax my wild thoughts. When the time I need to breathe comes, I exhale slowly, blowing out the puff of smoke from inside me.

I knew the effects of smoking, being an ex-Erudite truly did help with the information. But, the cylinder of rolled tobacco gives me an ease I cannot ignore. It calms the inner turmoil I am having.

Thinking about your significant other during battle is not a good idea. She fills up your thoughts, drowning you with the remembrance of her scent and quirks. And just like that, no thought of yours is left sober.

"Eric," I don't look at the person who addresses me, "The back-ups are here."

"Send them to the Square."

~

My steps are quick and powerful as I walk towards my current room. Before meeting the back-ups, I have to make sure to let them believe we are winning to boost their self-confidence, therefore doing more efficiently out on the field. Having a long, deep gash running down my left arm will certainly not help in getting the message across.

Grasping the bandage with my good hand, I swiftly tie it around the wound. It hasn't stopped bleeding ever since some Factionless cunt sliced my flesh open with a jagged knife, and it looks like it won't heal any time soon. 

A knot is made when I finish wrapping my wound. With a slight stagger, I leave the room as quickly as I came.

~

"True, we are considerably smaller than the Factionless," I echo aloud, walking to and fro across the makeshift stage, "But we are obviously more trained, more capable in fighting than they are."

A rumble of murmurs and agreements sound from under me, and I lift my right arm slightly to silence the room. Everyone quiets in an instant, and I drop my arm back, "But, there is no use if we don't cooperate with each other. We're Dauntless, and we treat each other as family. Don't we?"

Shouts are heard as I successfully have them in higher spirits. Sporting a cruel grin, I shout, "Let's fight for Dauntless!"

"Dauntless! Dauntless! Dauntless!" The people leave the room chanting, waving their fists in the air. 

Well, all except one. 

I'll always be able to recognize her, even if she's surrounded by crowds of people.

"Karoliina?"