Chapter Eight: Never Gonna Give You Up

"Police are still investigating into the attack on the Schnee ball that occurred on Friday evening last week. While it was clear from the outset that the White Fang were responsible, it has still been impossible to prosecute individual offenders. Authorities are searching for a cat faunus-"

"Yang, turn it off," Ruby said quietly. "This isn't helping."

Yang slumped further back in her chair, her mouth twisted into a pout. "Shut up."

"Yang-"

Yang inhaled a sharp breath. "Ruby, leave me alone." The TV still murmured in the background, words she was no longer listening to grating away at her peace of mind, yet she couldn't bring herself to turn them off, she couldn't.

Ruby swallowed. "But-"

"I said GO!" Her throat burned as her voice crescendoed into a screech, her eyes darkening, vision blurring.

The raven-haired sibling took a deep breath, opened her mouth, shut it, then left the room, going out the front door.

Yang sighed. She knew she was overreacting. She knew Blake was fine, and she knew Ruby was trying to help, but right now, she just wanted to be alone, and she wanted to be angry, angry at something. But she didn't want Ruby to be the one to bear it.

She stiffened as she heard a gunshot.

She leapt up from the couch, dropping the remote. It hit the floor with a sharp clatter, but Yang was already out the door.

On the street, she saw, on the ground.

No......no.........

Ruby's eyes, her silver eyes, were dull, staring at nothing. A small trickle of blood ran out of her mouth, and a much larger trickle from her chest. Her heart.

Yang felt something shatter inside her. No - everything shattered inside her. Her little sister, gone. Gone, forever, murdered, and for what? She started shaking all over, uncontrollably, ice running through her veins. Maybe she wouldn't remember this moment. Her mind would block out the trauma - the images-

"Hey."

Yang looked up, her neck cracking at the suddenness of the movement. A masked figure was now standing in front of her, Yang's dead sister between them. A compact black gun was pointed at her.

Her hand balled into a fist. "What the hell?!"

A pair of glowing eyes stared back at her. The figure was familiar, yet Yang was unable to place who it was. Ruby's killer was black-clad, her mask a stark white, painted with blood red veins. Amber eyes glinted through the narrow cracks in the mask - a false face - and the girl was a faunus, cat ears protruding from her thick, wavy black hair. Ruby's assailant - Ruby's murderer - let out a dry laugh. "Oh, Yang. Don't you realise who I am?"

And then it hit her - it hit her like the bullet that had hit Ruby moments ago. Her voice cracked as she choked out the most painful word she had ever had to utter. "Blake?"

The girl looked at the ground, half-hiding her smirk. "Yes, it's me. Blake. Your girlfriend. Your kitty," she taunted.

Yang backed away, her mind whirling with confusion. Everything was wrong, everything was cracked.

"...Oh."

Blake gave Yang a long, careful look. "And you never suspected a thing..." Her mouth twisted into a smile, a real smile, as she continued. "This whole time! Ha! No, you had no idea! You had no idea how all of this - all of this was just a trick. A ploy. You were a pawn in the White Fang's plan."