Chapter 65

"By the left.... quick, MARCH! Left...Right... Left...Right. Come on, ladies, you can do better than that, put some effort in or I will have you marching squares day and fucking night until your feet bleed."

The voice of her old sergeant during basic training echoed through her head as she quick marched away from the house. She didn't have a clue where she was going, twisting and turning through the streets of the estate, doing her best to avoid any pursuit that may come.

The evening sun was still warm on her face as she marched along, but she knew it would be setting soon and she needed to find herself somewhere to stay. Not for the first time on this trip was she glad of the money that she had in her bank account, knowing that it would see her clear until she figured something out.

She was unemployed again, with nowhere to go and no one to turn to...fuck her life.

After about ten minutes of walking, she slowed her pace, convinced that she was now safe. She'd found her way to a main road and was following signs towards the nearest town, hoping there'd be a cab, or a bus or something she could use to get back into downtown Miami.

She didn't know what she would do with herself when she got there, but working for Dinah had given her an idea. There's always a need for security contractors in the old war zones, and there are always companies looking for people who needed the cash and weren't bothered about the danger.

First though, she had to get where the work was and that meant getting back into the city and then she'd just have to see what happened.

The sun was setting when she finally made it to what passed for a bus station in this, little more than a concrete shed with a glass shelter that stank of spilled beer and urine. Fortunately, the skies were clear and the evening was still warm so she opted to sit on one of the exposed benches and wait for the next ride.

She heard footsteps coming down the steps from the ticket house, saw a lone figure in a hoodie walk over to a nearby bench and sit down; far enough away that she had no reason to be concerned about the presence. She was slightly more annoyed when she heard the repeated click-click-click of a lighter.

"You can't smoke here," she shouted down to the figure, thinking that at the very worst, a fist fight might be a good way to clear her mood.

"Well, you and I both know that's a stupid rule, Lauser," a familiar voice replied causing her to look again at the hooded figure.

"What the fuck are you doing here, Dinah?" she said getting to her feet as Dinah threw the unlit cigar onto the tracks and pulled the hood off her head.

"Came to see if you were ok, Lauser," Dinah said with a grin, "you did leave my place in a bit of a hurry after all."

"I'm fine, Dinah," she said, "or at least I will be when this fucking bus comes and I can get into town."

"Be waiting a long time then, kid," Dinah said getting up and walking towards her, "it's Sunday and there are no buses until the morning. Did you not read the notice up there? There are works on the road,"

"Looks like I'll need to find somewhere to stay here then," she said throwing her bag over her shoulder once more, walking past Dinah and heading for the street.

"Lauren," Dinah called after her, "its ok, you know, it's just me here. You don't have to head for the hills again."

"Not about heading for the hills, Dinah," she said turning back to face her, "I'm heading for a hotel. All I want to do is find somewhere to stay so I don't end up sleeping under a bench again."

"You have somewhere to stay, Lauser. All you have to do is climb into your car and let me drive you back to mine."

"I don't think that's a good idea, Dinah," she said shaking off the hand that Dinah placed on her shoulder. "I don't work for you anymore. I think it's time I had some space from certain people."