Chapter One: What The Worlds Become

My names Daniel Smith and and I'd like to tell you the story of a young boy that became something else entirely. Not by choice but because he had to evolve, because of the chaos that sent his life into becoming a train wreck. As you probably know by now I'm talking about myself. Now you probably wouldn't believe that at the age of twenty two that I'd lost all hope. But here let me explain to you why you should believe me when I tell you my life is a one way ticket down the worlds largest on going hill.

I couldn't tell you when my life started going down the hill, but it would most likely revolve around my fiancé cheating on me with my step brother, or my mother dying of cancer when I was five. Either one of those moments could of started the cause the dominos to start falling.

Either of those moments are terrible and lead to more then a few restless nights. But I'd say the worst thing to happen to me is actually living in the zombie apocalypse. Yeah you heard me right, and no this isn't no video game or some cheesy eighties movie. No this is real life, and it's like living through hell.

When it happened I was up late studying for my exam. I was surrounded by about twenty or so other college students all barely getting by with coffee and five our energy. My roommate Glenn Rhee was passed out next to me half way through writing a paper. Yep just an average Thursday night and nothing seemed off about it.

I had heard of a disease starting to spread around the world, some people would get extreme fevers, start hallucinating, and die. Others would start attacking others in there raged state. I was never worried about it, they had the best scientist and doctors working on a cure and examining what was causing the outbreak. Plus they where telling people to come to Atlanta anyways so I never felt the reason to be worried.

Well until I heard a blood curling scream that echoed throughout the library and even caused Glenn to wake up from his nap. Being the curious, and stupid young adult I was I immediately went to investigate. Along with a few other students we hurried to the sounds of the screams to see a girl on the ground her stomach ripped open her guts being ripped out and eaten by several freaks.

I stood frozen as I watched the sight, it took me a moment to realize that more of the man eating Beast coming around the corner. They looked dead, all pale, and some had bite marks, and parts of there bones sticking out in weird places. I realized what was happening as they stepped over the dead girl and started reaching out for me there pale and veiny eyes looking at me as if I was there dinner.

Before I could even move myself Glenn had grabbed me and pulled me away ordering me to focus and run. We bolted for the emergency exit taking our midnight snacks with us though realizing we where going to need food. We made our way through the city running from everything that came our way. Hell we had to sneak past the national guard who was trying to keep people who weren't infected out of the city.

Though that wasn't even a main concern, they where concerned with the dead. Well because of the dead the living where panicking. They robbed grocery stores, and others where stealing televisions and the newest iPhone. I laughed at that considering the power went out only days later leaving Atlanta in total darkness.

Glenn and I focused on food, and water. I even decided that we needed something to protect ourselves with. From the dead and the desperate humans. I had grabbed a rifle and as much ammo that I could find, along with a hunting knife for both of us.

Glenn and I had bolted after the power went out running from the city and onto the main road out exiting to the hills. The road out of Atlanta was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. But for the first mile or so there was no traffic going into the doomed city. After that we had stopped others who where taking the order to go to Atlanta for shelter telling them what had all occurred.

The ones we where able to convince of didn't have love ones they had to fine in Atlanta decided to take our idea of heading towards the hills and living in the wilderness. Which turned out to be the right call because just hours later they bombed the doomed city in hope of killing the dead. Little did they know they only made it worse. After witnessing the bombing I turned my back on the city and into the hills with the group in search of a seemingly safe zone, which we could survive peacefully.

There was an old man names Dale, who had an RV and was the first to take us in.
There was also two sisters Andrea, and Amy whose father had recently perished.
There was a cop named Shane Walsh who was looking after his best friends family after loosing his life support while being in a coma.
There names where Lori and Carl Grimes. I grew close to Carl in a way he reminded me of a younger me, lost in the world with a single parent.
The next few such as the Dixon brothers Merle and Daryl who we had found in the woods completely oblivious of what was going on.
Next was Carol, her husband Ed, and there daughter Sophia. The other family was Morales his wife and two girls.

Over the next few months we gained more members and we survived. We found a little lake of water and a cliff looking over it, giving us a water source and a sense of safety. Unfortunately we didn't have enough resources. We where constantly running low on food and other supplies.

Glenn and I would sometimes make runs into the city, every so often Glenn would just go alone or I would just go alone. We'd never be gone long maybe an hour at most. The camp was grateful for our runs, and because of that usually left us to ourselves.

I never grew close to many of them except Carl, and T Dog. He came to the group a week after we made it to the hills. He was a good guy, religious, he drove his church van to every elderly person he knew at the beginning trying to help. Though I never was able to grow close to the others, I was never an out going person and I even became more reserved after I saw how this world could change people for the worse.

I never minded it though. For the most part being alone allowed me not have to worry about stupid things, or get into arguments with the Dixon brothers about how rations should be handled, or how low the embers on the fire should be. I just went along with everything. Slowly though I wished I had done more or not or distanced myself from the group so far. As Shane, the cop, seemed to take this leadership role over the camp. That well nobody really asked for.

But he was a cop, and seemed to know what he was doing so at first it was ok. Don't get me wrong Shane was a good dude, he could sometimes loose his temper, but overall he had kept us together and alive. So I really had no choice, as well of the others to trust him. That trust started to fade when he decided it would be a good idea to send seven people on a run declaring it would be better, and safer. We'd be able to get more supplies if we had more people that's true. But we'd also have the chance of getting caught with seven people. Shane however wouldn't listen to any of my objections and sent us down to Atlanta with a group of volunteers that had barely even seen a re animated corpse or had to kill one.

And that everybody is the day my life honestly started to go down hill. And who I was before all hell broke loose started to fade away, being replaced by someone unrecognizable.

So no this isn't a story about how I survived the apocalypse. This is a story about Who I used to be becoming Who I am today, and even then I became something unrecognizable to myself. But that's what the world now changes you into now. As the ghost of the people you've lost haunts your dreams, there's only one thing that is certain.

You're either a dead man walking or a Survivor.

I hope you liked the chapter, we decided not to put any dialogue between characters in this chapter. Idk why But I hope you like where the story is headed even though it's only one chapter. So stay tuned for more chapters.

*Remember if you want to see more vote, share and comment!