Entry Sixty Five

I don't recall transforming back into human form, but I did and it all happened so quickly and instinctively, as a result of the shock of seeing Geroux's smashed wolf body. I expected Geroux to transform soon after me, but he did not.

"Geroux, it's safe now, they're dead," I said, trying to coax him out of wolf form. After a few faltering breaths, he transformed, before my eyes, from a hairy beast into a less hairy, naked man. I know that I did not care that Geroux and I were both naked as I scooped up his limp body from the floor and rushed him down the hall. Despite the circumstances, I remember thinking how beautiful it was that our naked bodies were able to be this close to one another. It literally was the closest we had ever been physically and somehow, my mind was locking in those moments and feelings, separately to the horror I was experiencing.

I remember being unsure of exactly where to take him. I just kept walking. Finally, I reached a hall down the far side of the house where I had never been before. Using my brute strength I could have easily broken into any room, but I risked hurting Geroux further. Just when I was about to give up on this hallway, Geroux pointed weakly at one particular ornate door. I turned the handle, it was open.

Before the candles lit themselves, I could smell it all around me - this was Geroux's room. I had never been into his room, although I always wondered what it must look like. It was more beautiful than I could have ever imagined. In truth, I only caught the a glimpse of the room, because I was so focussed on Geroux, but I did notice how it was adorned with wonderful window and floor coverings. He slept on a four poster bed with a magnificent silk bedspread, upon which I lay my love. I placed my hand behind his head to lower him ever so gently onto his silk embroidered pillows.

Tears poured down my cheeks as I looked over his body. I tried to be strong, I didn't want to cry. It was almost an admission of giving up hope.

"Geroux, my love. Please open your eyes. Look at me, darling," I begged. Slowly, his eyes parted.

"Belle, you're... naked," he said, groggily, taking in his surroundings.

"They're dead, Geroux, all three are dead," I said, reassuringly, uncertain if he heard me properly before.

"You killed all three wolves and managed to get me to safety," he began, taking a long breath. "You have mastered the beast within, Belle. You are an incredible talent. It is one of the many reasons I love you."

At the time, I couldn't take in what he was saying. It was all happening so fast. Now, looking back on that moment, I felt he was giving me a very clear message - that I can do this on my own. I didn't want to hear that.

"Geroux, my sweet, sweet Geroux - your wounds," I cried, tears still streaming down my face. There were so many. I could easily make out the teeth marks left in his arm. "What can I do?"

"There is nothing to be done, my lovely girl," he whispered, solemnly. "Sadly, I must leave you."

A tear rolled down his bloodied cheek. I howled "No." Deep down, I knew this was the truth. Geroux had already explained to me some time ago and his words haunted me right now - "A wolf cannot heal from serious injuries inflicted by another wolf." Despite the magic of werewolves, he was dying.

"No, you cannot leave me Geroux. I will not allow it. You cannot go. I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry," I cried and howled. I then climbed onto his damaged, naked body and held him as tightly, but as gently as I could without causing him any further pain.

Geroux mustered enough strength to wrap his arms around me and we were finally as one. Tears ran down both our cheeks as the love we had saved for one another was finally able to be expressed in full. I will treasure that memory forever.