~Chapter 6~

AN: Hello, wonderful people! Thank you for your amazing support!

 I had this chapter on stand-by for a few days, I am not completely content with it, but it helps with the progression of the plot. :D And we get to see a picture of our lovely hero above! *fans herself*.

Hope you like it! :O If you do, leave some love, please! :)

fearsome_hamster

After donning on a soft looking dress, Margo hesitantly climbed down the stairs leading to the small dining room of their house. Her body glided slowly across the dark flight of stairs, trying to delay meeting her grandmother as much as possible. Nana always had the uncanny gift of guessing her  feelings, no matter how hard she tried to hide them - her grandmother was a true balm for the soul when the troubles proved too hard to conquer alone. However, this time was completely different. How could she even begin to explain the crazy chain of events that had become her life in just one night? Margo feared even Nana's forward thinking would have trouble grasping that. She certainly did not.

Entering the kitchen, the sweet delicious aroma of French toast invaded her senses, making her momentarily forget her concerns. That was the true mark of a dessert done right.

"Margo, there you are child! I was beginning to wonder when you would wake up," Nana warmly greeted her, already arranging a full plate in front of her.

"Good morning, Nana. Thank you! I apologise for not giving you a hand preparing breakfast. It was a truly long night yesterday," said Margo sighing deeply and avoiding eye contact. That must have been the understatement of the century.

"Shush, child. Of course, I do not mind." Then, Nana added sneakily while winking "And I especially do not mind if it was that handsome Benjamin keeping you awake last night."

"Nana!" a red-faced Margo screeched loudly while Thomas furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, continuing to gorge himself with toast.

"Nana, why would Margo and Ben be up together? Were they playing chess? Because I don't really like that game. It's so dull," pouted Thomas, completely missing the innuendo. Thank heavens for that.

"Thomas dear, I'm afraid you are still too young for this conversation. Just trust your wise grandmother when she tells you that adults have much more entertaining games than chess," stated Nana wistfully. "With a few well-placed strategic moves, both parties can be winners actually."

Thomas disbelievingly raised his brows even more. "Your dear late grandfather certainly knew what he was doing," the jovial old woman went on explaining while fanning herself.

 By this point, Margo took it upon herself to cover her little brother's ears. "Nana, please," exasperatedly called the young woman.

"Alright, alright. A tale for another time then, my shy peas," smiled the old woman while hugging her two beloved grandchildren. Just then, the peaceful atmosphere of the dining room was broken by another much more frigid presence's appearance. The laughter immediately ceased. Margo could even swear the temperature dropped by a few degrees.

Lord HartWell.

Or as Margo so infrequently referred to him, her and Thomas' father. The imposing man before them hardly resembled the loving parent he used to be while Lady HartWell was still alive.