twenty-five: ok, be my boyfriend

Levi had been functionally mute since I'd known him. The therapist said it would fade as he grew to feel more secure and she was right. 

On our 73rd day together, he looked right at me and called me 'Momma'. 

I sat back on the bench, stunned.

"Momma," he repeated. 

"Alice," I smiled.

He didn't parrot it back. 

I quickly texted Jeb, *Levi just called me Mom. Trying to get him to say Alice.*

No response.

"Ummi's," Levi demanded.  

"You've already had your vitamin gummies today," I shook my head. 

Levi pouted then rode off on his Big Wheel one more time around the deck. It was as big again as the house and a wonderland to a toddler who was sick of being inside. 

"Hey."

I turned and jumped. "Hey. When did you get back?"

"Just now."

We locked eyes. I hadn't seen Jeb in over two weeks and he was even hotter than I remembered. His skin was tanner, his eyes were bluer, and the muscles on his arms seemed...

I swallowed my spit. No fair

He shot me an admiring glance like he knew my thoughts and stepped out onto the deck in my direction.

 Levi immediately spotted him. With squeals of delight, Jeb lifted him up into his arms and swung him around in a hug.

"Dada! Dada!" 

Jeb stepped back in surprise.

"Told you," I shrugged. "Probably from being at school with all the kids and their parents?"

He nodded. "I'm not arguing with it. Talking is good."

"Dada! Ummi's!"

"He's already had his vitamin gummies," I groaned.

"Banana? Can you say Banana?" Jeb asked, carrying him inside.

"Na-Na!!" he shouted.

"We're gonna work on volume, next," I laughed, pouring myself a glass of water. "You're back a day early."

"Marco's on site to clear the pre-pour inspection issues. It's a clusterfuck. The whole thing is political." He peeled the banana and broke it off into chunks on Levi's highchair tray. "But at least I get a break."

I glanced at his face and realized that beneath the hotness - he looked exhausted. And he was still wearing the ring!

Jeb indicated my own hand with raised eyebrows. 

"Levi got his cast off and I got one on," I sighed. 

"Bright red?"

"Guess who picked it?"

Levi grinned, showing a mouthful of banana. 

"Wasn't the splint working?"

I shook my head. "It was actually two kinds of break - articular and spiral. Or, to quote the surgeon, 'spun and snapped'. Pretty gnarly. They had to put a pin in."

"Wait, you had surgery? When did this happen?"

"It was outpatient, last week. I left work at lunch and was home by dinner."

"Alice..."

The buzzer rang and I hopped up and clicked the button. Fed Ex. I went to the door and signed for the envelope. Ripping the cardboard open, it was only a couple of pieces of paper.