Kaine

"What the fuck do you want Jaxon?" I growl. 

My brother rolls his eyes and walks into the office. "The Ring is the most popular club in the pack, it's all I ever hear about. I'm really impressed with how much effort you've put into it even though it's technically not even yours," he says making me growl again.

I stand up from my desk and push past him, walking out of the office. "Did you really interrupt my work just to tell me you're impressed?" I snap.

I walk behind the bar counter and he sits down on one of the stools. I grab the clipboard on the wall and start checking the stock of liquor behind the bar. Out of the corner of my eye I see Jaxon sigh.

"Actually I came to talk to you about Maia," he says and I pause.

"What about Maia?" I ask. As much as my twin sister irritates the hell out of me, I still care about her.

"Well I'm really worried she is going to find her mate next week. I mean mom and dad let her invite the entire pack and dozens of wolves from other packs to come to the party," he tells me.

I look at him through narrowed eyes. "Why are you worried about her finding her mate? That's supposed to be a good thing."

He grunts. "She's going to want to tell him about the three of us, and I don't trust anyone with that secret," he explains.

"Okay, what the hell do you want me to do?"

"Well I would say something but Maia trusts you a lot more than she trusts me and—"

"Oh fuck no!" I snap. "I am not going to talk to Maia about her mate! That needs to stay between her and mom."

"Kaine come on! You're her twin brother! And it's your secret too," he hisses.

I glare murderously at him. "Get out of my club Jax," I growl.

He sighs again. "Fine, but you really should talk to her," he mutters as he walks away.

I can feel a growl rumbling in my chest as I watch him leave. "I'm not talking to her," I growl to myself.

********

I down the rest of my drink as the bell dings again. The unconscious wolf is dragged out of the ring while the winner pumps his arms in the air.

"And Hunter Coleson is victorious once again! That puts him in third place!" Megan, my announcer, says through the microphone.

She glances over at me from her booth and I give her a small thumbs up. She grins then continues to announce the next fight.

"She's a lot better than Zack," my bartender, Lindsay, tells me.

"Yeah, I think it also helps that we finally got a booth. That way people can't steal the microphone anymore," I mutter.

She laughs. "Yeah, that was funny for a while but then the random drunk announcements just got annoying," she agrees.

I nod, pushing my glass towards her. She fills it with an amber-colored liquor and hands it back to me. I turn around on the stool, letting my gaze wander around the packed club.

People surround the fighting ring as well as the dance floor. At least half of them are drunk or high—which takes a lot of drugs or alcohol when you are a shifter. I'm not even paying attention until I hear Megan say my name over the microphone.

I look up with furrowed brows to see her waving me over to the booth. I set my glass onto the bar counter and make my way through the horde of drunk wolves. I head around to the back door and step inside the 5 by 5 foot room.