CHAPTER 3.2

"This was the birth of chaos

"This was the birth of chaos."

His first thought that morning was how empty his stomach was, and how he regretted not eating anything before he left for the Wild Woods yesterday. Or perhaps he simply wished they had able to find anything to eat yesterday in the woods. 

Although this wasn't the first time he'd gone hungry, and he doubted it would be the last now that he was in the woods. As he sat up, he stretched, his actions being observed by the careful eyes of all the Mutare who could see him. It was then the female Mutare cleared her throat and drew the attention of the Lekki boy.

"You are trespassing in the Wild Woods," she said, pulling a long silver dagger from her side. "Tell me, what are you doing here?" Aldwin could only stare in horror at the Mutare. It a strange accent laced its words, but it was most definitely speaking the same language that he, and the rest of Amaryllis, spoke. 

Something about that sent chills down Aldwin's body, knowing that Amaryllis's enemies weren't all that different from themselves. Or perhaps it was the fact that this Mutare, in particular, had her dagger pointed at his exposed throat.

After only a few heartbeats of tense silence, however, the large Mutare growled in frustration. "Answer her, Lekki child," he ordered, his eyes so dark they looked like two lumps of coal. "That is if you value yo-"

He was cut off as a flaming sword pierced through his chest.

The commander's eyes widened as he looked down and saw the sword, his body then going limp as he fell to the ground his body catching fire and reducing him to just a pile of ash, causing the clearing to fall even quieter than before if that was even possible. 

A figure stood there, his form outlined in flames as he pulled the sword out of the commander's corpse. He was dressed entirely white, body filled with rippling power that gave him the image of being a god. That and the flames licking their way up his legs, obeying his every command.

"By the stars..." the female Mutare whispered shaking her head in disbelief, the two Lekki children before her the least of her issues. "All forces, attack that god!" She ordered, fear leaking through her voice as the three other Mutare pulled their blades, not afraid to die in the name of the Wild Woods. 

Instead, it was considered one of the highest honors to die in the name of the Wild Woods. An honor she would gladly accept even if it meant death. So she glared at the god who didn't seem the least bit concerned about the Mutare forces. Instead, he smiled, as if he was amused by them, knowing they wouldn't live to tell the tale.

"And so our game begins," he whispered, an arrogant grin on his lips, as he looked at the Mutare soldiers who'd begun their attack, little more to insects to him.

That was when Honey raced into the clearing.

She was, in all honesty, a mess. Her honey-colored hair was tangled, and interwoven with twigs and dead pine needles, her cheeks covered with bright red marks the pine needles had left there, while her eyes wielded dark bags proof of her lack of sleep.