chapter 21

An inner battle commenced in my head.

I get it. Perhaps Taehyung and I just hadn't met halfway. I had good intentions, and he didn't know about that. Then, there was his important meeting, and maybe he was stressed out, causing his words to come out that way.

But here's the thing. My anger still hadn't subsided. Only a little, but not so. And I knew myself better that it would be best that our paths do not cross until I had cooled down enough to take it all with more understanding.

Which then led me and Aeri back at my old apartment building. The guard and the receptionist still were the same people, with some new faces around. The motif remained to be champagne gold and white, with touches of dark gray.

The elevator door flew open and I stepped out, a pang of nostalgia coming my way. I had resided here for more than two years already, and even if I had only been away for a couple of months, it felt like it had been so long.

I punched in my door's pin code and only a single step to my unit, the all too familiar scent and atmosphere greeted me. Well, it's kind of great to be back.

My small living room was different than the usual setting. It did have a couch, yet mine didn't have a table in the middle but a wide cotton carpet cushion instead. I had it all arranged so that the carpet was entrapped with makeshift barricades in the form of the couch and pillows on the sides to prevent Aeri from wandering out of it.

I sat crossed legged on the carpet with Aeri freely crawling around. Luckily, I didn't take these things to Taehyung's apartment. At least we had something to use.

Aeri suddenly laid flat on her back, and I carefully lifted her head, placing a pillow beneath. Finding it comfortable, I also took one and situated myself beside her.

"Did you miss it here, Aeri?" I stared at the beige painted ceiling, smiling to myself. "It's been a while right?"

Aeri made minimal movements beside me, and I shifted my body sideways to take a peek at her. A yawn escaped her mouth and I touched the tip of her nose lightly.

"Sleep tight, little Aeri," I whispered before her eyes completely shut. "We'll go home later."

~*~

A thump on the door slipped my consciousness back, and it took me a while for my surroundings to sink in.

Ugh, I fell asleep and now it's dark outside already.

Well, initially, I had thought of just sleeping here, but Aeri didn't have enough baby supplies in my unit anymore, and I shouldn't allow my trivial self-interest to affect Aeri's comfort negatively. So I decided against it.

However, I didn't expect that I'd fall asleep and wake up at this time.

Then came another thud on the door.

Right, there's someone outside.

I groaned as I sat up straight and took my phone out. Carefully, I meandered towards the light switch and flicked it open.

Oh my gosh! Wait— Aeri! I mentally scolded myself for being so disoriented.

Almost tripping over in panic and the fact that I still hadn't adjusted to the brightness, I grabbed the nearest blanket and placed it on Aeri's eyes to prevent the light from irritating her.