i'll see you when we wake up

cross-posted on vka

Gasping for air as his heart beats quickly, Jungkook shoots up into a sitting position on the bed. Lungs have given out and he's sweating, tears running down his cheeks as he recalls the nightmare he just had to endure.

Instantly, he looks at Taehyung who's sleeping peacefully next to him, the determination of keeping his sobs in strong, yet he can't help but break the silence in their apartment.

The sobs wrack his body as he hides his face, curling into a ball in hopes of silencing himself down, not wanting to wake the older.

Jungkook doesn't notice his boyfriend stirring in his sleep, the younger being too focused on keeping quiet without succeeding. As soon as Jungkook's weak sobs reaches Taehyung's ears, his eyes immediately opens and even though he's not fully awake, he sits up and reaches out for Jungkook, then holds the crying body tightly in his arms. Everything coming naturally.

"Calm down Jungkookie, what happened? What's wrong?" He whispers, hopefully sounding calm as he gently rocks both of them back and forth, arms steadily around Jungkook as the younger cries against his shoulder and tightens his own grip around Taehyung; as if he's scared of the other disappearing.

"Baby..." Taehyung sighs, feeling a little more awake by every second passing by. He pulls away slightly, arms still around the other but he looks worriedly at Jungkook's face, tears still falling and face looking down. "Tell me what's wrong, please?" He begs, gently moving his arms so that his hands carefully grabs the other's face, wiping away the tears with his thumbs.

"I just...I dreamt that you left me and said things..." Jungkook's voice cracks almost immediately as he starts talking, and it's nowhere near to be steady. "You told me you hated me and I just...it hurt so much and I panicked and I woke up and now I'm such a mess, I'm sorry—" "Shh..." Taehyung interrupts the younger by hugging him again, a hand now on the back of Jungkook's head as he runs his fingers calmly through the younger's hair in an affectionate way.

A sting in Taehyung's heart is felt as Jungkook tells him what his dream was about, and even though the older knows things like that won't ever happen, it saddens him to hear Jungkook having to go through those horrible things in his head at night.

"Kook, I'm here and I will always be, okay? I won't leave you," he turns his head to place a sweet kiss to the younger's neck before he continues to speak. "Not for anything or anyone. I love you. Don't worry about waking me up if you dream these things, I don't want you to be alone when you're crying."

At the older's words, Jungkook just cries more, but he tries to take the words in as well; trying his best to believe what his lover is telling him with a steady and confident voice.

"I love you too," the brunette says, voice broken and hair messy. They pull away. Taehyung places his hands on Jungkook's cheeks, leans in and kisses him softly. Firstly on the lips and then a few more places all over the younger's beautiful face.

"I will always be here, Jungkook," Taehyung repeats with a reassuring tone in his voice, their eyes meeting, hands on Jungkook's shoulders as he really hopes that the younger believes him.

Jungkook only nods, wiping the few remaining tears away from his cheeks, sniffling quietly. "I'm sorry for waking you up." He says, apologising, the shame on his face clear and hard not to notice. "It's okay, Jungkook. I don't mind at all, as long as I can take care of you," the older admires the other for a moment, smiling to himself.

"Let's sleep now, Kook, it'll be fine. I'll be here with you," he says as he lays down, Jungkook following. And as Taehyung wraps his arms securely around the younger, giving him a very light kiss against his neck, then rests his forehead against the area he just left a kiss, he feels Jungkook relax in his arms and that's one of the very few things Taehyung adores about having Jungkook with him in his life.

"Goodnight baby, I'll see you when we wake up."

"See you."