chapter 16 | get away

Four Months Ago

Four Months Ago

Saturday Morning

Any place is better than here.

I get dressed in jeans and a T-shirt and leave the house, walking aimlessly with no plan. I don't know where I'm going but who cares?

The last of the street lights dim as the sky lightens and the day begins. Only a few cars occupy the road at this early hour. The sidewalk is empty, except for a couple of people standing at the bus stop. A student and a nurse.

They look content. Wish I was content. Wish I felt anything but this horrific, burning pain. I thought we were getting back together. Now, he's got a baby on the way? What am I supposed to do with that?

Live. Without his ass!

By the time I notice my surroundings, I'm standing in front of waves that gently lap the shore. Frothy foam washes in and fizzles out leaving soft, sticky sand. The good kind. The kind you build sandcastles with and bury your lover's feet with while they're napping under an oversized umbrella. I run my toes through the sand as I witness the same miracle cavemen witnessed.

The sun.

No matter what. The sun rises. Every single day. That's one more chance to get it right. One more chance to prove yourself worthy of love. One more chance to forgive yourself for letting some numbskull asshole pummel you into the ground. Mother Earth has been around for a long, long time. Millions of years. Many have had their hearts broken like mine and they've lived and come out clean on the other side. I know my heart will heal, but God, how long will it take? It hurts so bad right now. I can't find my breath.

Off in the distance, I hear drums and singing. The music wafts slowly over to me. People are clapping, singing, laughing, and cheering.

What are they doing this early in the morning? Why are they in such a good mood?

All I see stretched out before me is miles of shoreline and sand.

Where is that music coming from?

It's a welcome distraction. Time to investigate. The sound seems to come from my left, so I follow it. The music, cheers, and laughter get louder as I get closer.

Everything appears to come from behind an overgrown grove of bushes and trees. Tiptoeing closer, I open the bushes to get a peek. What's this? Have I stumbled into a secret paradise?

There are at least thirty to-die-for, shirtless guys of all shades, black, white, and brown, barefoot, dressed in loose-fitting white, linen pants. Hard bodied and toned to the tee. I quickly scan the group. Every single guy is exceptional. Washboard abs. Muscular arms. Agile. Athletic. My mouth waters. I become more aware of myself . . . down there.