A Vision of Danger

A/N: Idk if you guys know but Jeanne is pronounced Jean. Like the kind of pants minus the S. Just a shower thought I had...

Jeanne's POV

"You tipped them off!" I yelled. Gnarlack stared at us, chucking menacingly.

Behind Queenie, the posters on the wall updated to mugshots of me, Newt and Tina. Aurors began Apparating into the speakeasy.

Jacob, seemingly innocent, sauntered up to Gnarlack. "Sorry, Mr. Gnarlack." Jacob wound up and punched Gnarlack straight in the face, knocking him backwards. "Reminds me of my foreman!" he commented.

Throughout the bar, various patrons were being apprehended by Aurors. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Newt scrambling to find Pickett his Bowtruckle. Then, I saw Pickett climbing up the leg of a table. I scooped him up in my hands and grabbed Newt.

"But, Pickett!" he panicked.

"I've got him! Let's go," I said, pulling Newt towards our group. Jacob took a shot of Gigglewater as Newt grabbed his elbow, then we Disapparated.

~~~

We arrived at the department store that Gnarlack had steered us towards. I watched as Jacob stared at a handbag which, seemingly of its own accord, slid down the arm of a shop display mannequin. We watched as the bag hovered in midair and floated off into the store.

The store was decorated for Christmas with aisles full of expensive items. The place was shut down for the night. All the lights were off, and it was completely silent.

We quickly tiptoed through the store, finally stopping behind a large, plastic holiday display.

We watched the handbag float down the center aisle, accompanied by small grunting noises

"So Demiguises are fundamentally peaceful, but they can give a nasty nip if provoked," Newt whispered.

The Demiguise itself appeared, as if on cue. It was a silvery-haired orangutan like creature, with a curious face. Presently, it was climbing over a display to reach a box of sweets.

"You three . . . head that way," Newt said to Queenie, Jacob, and Tina. "And try not to be predictable." They exchanged perplexed glances before heading off.

I heard a small roar in the distance. The Demiguise, upon hearing the roar, looked up towards the ceiling before continuing to gather sweets, shoveling them into its handbag.

"Did the Demiguise make that noise?" I whispered to Newt.

"No . . . But I think that might be the reason why he's here . . ." Newt said.

We moved swiftly towards the Demiguise, which was now moving through the store again. He must've realized he'd been spotted because the Demiguise scampered up the stairs.

I looked over at Newt who smiled and gestured for me to follow him

We went up the stairs into a large, dark attic space. This must've been the storage room for the department store. Shelves were packed with merchandise, mostly boxes of fine china and kitchenware.

The Demiguise walked along the attic in a patch of moonlight. It glances around before emptying the handbag full of confectionery.

"Its sight operates on probability," Newt started quietly. "So it can foresee the most likely immediate future."

"So what's he doing now?" I asked.

"It's babysitting . . ."

The Demiguise held up one of the sweets, seeming to offer it up to something.

"This is my fault," Newt whispered. "I thought I had them all . . . but I must've miscounted."

Jacob, Queenie, and Tina entered quickly. Newt calmly moved forward and knelt beside the Demiguise and carefully placed down his case.

A shift of light revealed the scales of a large creature. The face of an Occamy appeared from the shadows, its shiny body filling the entire attic space.

The Occamy slowly moved down towards Newt and the Demiguise, which again offered a sweet

Newt remained very still.

"Occamies are choranaptypxic. So they grow to fill available space," said Newt. The Occamy spotted him and craned its head towards Newt. "Mummy's here."

The Demiguise's eyes flashed a brilliant blue, a vision of danger.