The Lightning Girl (Under Editing)

Ashlie's POV

The air was suffocating. I gasped through my nose, trying to filter out what little air there was around me from the hazy atmosphere. My eyes were sealed shut. I coughed, choking on the smoky air that smelled like rotten eggs.

Something was lying on top of my arms; a heavy deadweight that only shifted a tiny bit when I tried to wiggle free. I slowly moved one of my arms out of the trap and held it over my eyes to protect them from the dust and ash in the air. Rubbing at them, I squinted. The bright sunlight was almost too much, too big of a change from the dark abyss that I had recently accustomed too. Blue spots danced in front of my eyes, making me slam them shut in pain.

When I finally felt like they were adjusted, I eased my eyes open, ready for the flash of brightness this time. But it wasn't just the fact that I was unused to the sunlight that my vision was blurry. A thick smoke filled the atmosphere, full of dust, ash and flames, hazing the air and making it hard to breathe.

I tried to move, but the deadweight was still there, crushing my lungs and inhibiting my breathing even more. Looking at it, I could faintly make out the shape of an arm and a head, unmoving. Slowly moving, I shifted the boy off of my chest, and he flopped off of me, limply. Without being pinned down, I had a better view of my surroundings. We were at the bottom of a shallow pit. Tiny fires still burned around the edge of the pit, filling the air with smoke.

I coughed. Through the hazy air, I could see trees and blue sky, beautiful to my scorched eyes. Glancing down at myself, I saw my red hair cascading in messy, sooty waves down my blue shirt, which was scuffed with streaks of white ash.  A wet, dark red spot on my chest stood out against the blue. Fresh blood. My hands were also covered in blood. I felt the spot on my chest, but there was no wound on me. So where would the blood come from? I thought.

Looking at the boy again, I noticed that he was about the same age as me, with glasses and a rumpled dark blue shirt. Kneeling beside him, checking for any injuries, I blinked, feeling something strange about the way I closed my eyes, like my irises were a raised brand under my eyelids. I tapped his shoulder hesitantly, and I coughed again. This smoke was doing no good to my lungs. His hair stood on end at my touch and he shuddered. It was almost like I'd shocked him.

The boy stirred, groaning. His hands moved to his side, clutching it in pain, his eyelids fluttering. I looked under his clenched fingers to find a fresh burn wound, scorched black and leaking blood. I gasped and looked around franticly, trying to find something to help him. My bow tail ends flapped at the motion, and that gave me an idea. I broke the torn fabric and wrapped it around his wound.

When I looked up from my work, I saw that the smoke was thinning. I could also now hear a loud siren that was quickly getting closer. I panicked. If anybody found us here, they'd just take us away, probably just to test on us, to see how we survived a meteor strike. Because that's what it looks like. (What does this even mean. Idk what I'm doing.)

I tried to pull the boy out of the pit by his hands, but as I touched them, they glowed red and became as hot as flames. I hissed in pain and recoiled, rubbing my burnt palms, which healed surprisingly quickly. I grabbed the boy under his arms, dragging him up and out of the pit, trying as hard as I could to not damage his side any more. The long grass around the hole was soft on my bare feet. He groaned, stiffening and writhing in pain as I set him down in the grass, catching my breath. I coughed violently, bending over. The sound of people approaching made me jump to action again, energy filling me like a tidal wave, sharpening my every sense and giving me power I didn't know I had.

Suddenly filled with strength, I outright picked up the boy and slung him over my shoulder. (Dead by DAYLIGHT!!!) I left the clearing, walking steadily and smoothly, trying not to jostle him. Sidestepping a nettle bush, I effortlessly ran into the dark trees, trying to get as far away from the hole as possible, tripping over branches and thorn bushes until my feet and shins were bloody messes.

Once we were a safe distance away and I couldn't hear the sound of the sirens anymore, I set down the boy and paused to catch my breath, coughing again. He was fully passed out again, sleeping soundly. My bow ribbon was soaked with blood, but it seemed to have done the trick.

As I looked up, through the trees I could see a dilapidated house, hidden from all signs of civilization. Dragging the boy closer to the house, I decided to scope it out first, just to get an idea of what might be in there.

Gently nudging him into the shelter of an unidentifiable bush near the house, I layered his hands onto his wound and then turned back the house. It was an empty, sad shell of a house, seeming to radiate a depressing and lonely feeling just being near it. The windows were smashed, the wood was splintered, and ivy grew up the walls, choking the life out of it But I still was determined to find a safe place for me to stay and for the boy to heal, without the company of other humans.

The broken floor creaked as I stepped into the front hallway. It was not as full of cobwebs as I thought that it would be. My bare feet stepped on a splinter, and I hopped backwards, hissing in pain. Yanking it out, I kept looking around.

(Time skip cause this isn't that important. It's just a house...)

Picking up the boy again, I made my way inside. The floor was cracked in places, so I made sure to avoid those areas. Heading upstairs, I went to the main bedroom, which was mostly filled with a thick mattress that didn't look that old. Gently putting him on it, I finally felt the energy that had fueled me for most of the way finally gave out, and I slowly collapsed on the floor next the bed, weakly coughing, not really caring about the bare floor. The last thing I saw was the bed covers start to move as the boy finally woke up.

Yeah. The chapters may or may not be this long again. DON'T COUNT ON IT!! BE WARNED! Also expect more Dead by Daylight references. I love that game and Nick and Ashlie's videos! Have a sweet tweet day guys!!