Mortality Lost

Secret Agent Squeak-squeak-trillllll-spit had quite the time following the humans, since they could fly, though they didn't fly very high, and all he could kept track of was running as fast as he could. A day passed like this, with the squirrel occasionally taking breaks to eat a quick nut before chasing down the apocalyptic beings. Because of this it came as a surprise to be suddenly running through grass that stood still. Even as he brushed past the grass it stood as hard as stone or shattered completely when he pushed too hard. This caused the squirrel-recently-turned-spy a great deal of discomfort. He spent a good few hours just trying to make it within hearing distance of his targets, which had stopped for the night at the side of a bubbling stream.

Squeak-squeak-trillllll-spit eventually collapsed amongst the grass, exhausted, and fell asleep faster than you could say chestnut. He didn't know how much time had passed when he woke up to a powerful voice that burned his very ears as he heard it. Scared poopless, the squirrel rolled onto its feet, eyes wide, but he could see nothing. In fact, he could only see dark, as though it weren't seeing at all.

"Sire, this isn't necessary—"

"I'm the sun. You're really not going to ask the question, are you? Besides, it's been a while and I need an answer from you: what was with the Twili?"

"I couldn't move as freely in twilight as I would've liked, sire. It is because of them I have managed to adapt myself to making portals in and out of twilight."

"Yes, but what was with the masks? You freaked her out! She's hurt herself multiple times trying to use her powers to fight against those friends of yours. First in the forest when she first landed and then back in the town—I mean honestly, that was unlike you. Not even I knew that those Twili were working for you and it caused me a lot of stress trying to get her out there."

"I didn't think that one through, I am sorry."

"Brother?"

"Yes, sister, it's me. I'm sorry it took me so long to get to you. If I had come any earlier, without preparations, I would have burned you."

"Is Link..."

A fiery snort of annoyance. "I'll see to him after this. I need you to do something for me. Jasmeen is going to...refresh your memory on some defensive maneuvers that shouldn't harm your body too much. As soon as you have them down I want you to stay here while Jasmeen returns to Hyrule Castle and takes Link to the twilight realm. I would do it myself, but...anything twilight was always in your department. I can only bring light back. Good thing stars can work as go-betweens."

"Why is he going---" a brief cough from what must've been the female. A hot tension filled the air at this sound, and the fur on the squirrel's back felt rather crispy all a sudden.

"Oh sister...why did you do this? Why did you become mortal? It was so stupid." said the burning voice.

By now Squeak-squeak-trillllll-spit was getting rather alarmed that he couldn't see anything. Had they found him and stuffed him in a bag? Or worse...had he died? Yes, his ghost must be floating around. He crawled from his position, searching out his limbs, just to run face first into one of the stone like grass blades with a squeak of pain. Okay. Maybe he wasn't dead.

"Sire," said another deeper sounding voice, "what is this that you have casted over us? I can barely see you."

"It's a very temporary barrier that takes a good deal of my power and I can only use it very rarely. I barely have any strength to spare, since I'm keeping light over the holders of the Triforce. It's to prevent my essence from harming either of you." the powerful voice gave a heavy, crackling sigh. "Sister, I hope you can get back soon. Trying to keep the border up by myself is very...wearisome."

"How does it go persuading the queen?"

"Her stolen immortality is very annoying. I tried crisping her on the spot—"

"That was very unwise."

"I don't need your advice, Jasmeen. I hate her. I hate that mortal hero too. They deserve each other. What's wrong sister? Jasmeen, I heard her talk a minute ago, what is wrong?"

"She can talk, though with great pain."

"She's trying to tell us something. Why isn't her voice working anymore?"

"The mortal frame is weak. Perhaps her throat just finally gave out."

"It's okay, sister. Calm down. I'll figure out a way to get you home, I promise."

"Uh, sire, I don't think that's what she's upset about."

Unheeded by the voices and the winged humans, the blind squirrel was frantically feeling his way out through the grass, frequently bopping his head. What was this stuff? What was this place? It was ungodly! It was unholy! Was this the world they were intending to wreck upon him and his fellow squirrels? Turning all their precious plants into stone so tree bark became uninhabitable, leaf-falls mortal, bushes spikes of death, and nuts...and nuts...

Oh by all holy nuts, this plan was stupid. Any moment now they would find him, squeaking in panic and running himself into stone grass and roast him on the fiery breath of the powerful new voice. He should have never left home. He should have never tried to be a good brother. Life would have turned out so much better if he had simply not fought his true nature as an unreliable, nosy, envious brother.

"Sire, I think...I think she'scompletely lost her voice..."