Chapter 13

Chapter 13

*Victoria*

I pack up my books and slip on my hat, gloves, and coat as my last class of the day ends. I leave the classroom, and my heart sinks as it's done the last two weeks Colton wasn't waiting outside for me. It's been two weeks, and the pain is still as strong as it was right after our breakup.

I step outside into the frosty air and the cold chill immediately bites at my face, making it go numb. I tug my hat farther down over my ears as I rush across the courtyard towards my dorm. It's grown colder with each passing day. This time of year, Colton would meet me after class with a steaming cup of coffee. He'd wrap his arm around me and hold me close, his body heat replacing the cold chills running through my body. Colton was a big part of my life. So much so, everything little thing I do reminds me of him. It makes it that much harder to get over him.

I make it to my dorm and drop my bag by the door before stripping off my hat, gloves, and coat. I walk over to the coffee machine and brew a cup of decaf coffee to warm me up. While I wait for the coffee to brew, I grab my textbooks and set the stack on my nightstand. I take the one from the top and open it on the bed as I prepare to start my weekend studying for my finals.

The brewer finally signals that it's finished, and I pick up the steaming cup. I take a sip, drinking it black, before sitting cross legged on my bed and opening my textbook to the first section to study.

The door opens before I can start reading, and Nadine comes inside. She wears a large smile on her face as she shuts the door behind her.

"I've made plans for us tonight." She says. "It's finally the weekend and we need to get out and have fun."

"I can't." I say. "I'm studying for finals."

The smile drops from her face. I know she's disappointed. She's been trying to get me out of this room for the past two weeks, and each time I've turned her down.

Nadine marches over and snatches the book from in front of me, slamming it closed. I open my mouth to protest, but she puts up a hand to silence me.

"I'm not taking excuses today." She says. "I've let you stay cooped up in this room, studying day after day for two weeks. I understand that you're going through a rough breakup right now, but overworking your brain isn't going to make you feel better. You need a break. You need to get out of this tiny room and have some fun."

"Studying is fun." I counter.

"You may be a smart bookworm, but not even you believe that. We're going out for drinks tonight."

"You know I do- "

"Don't drink." She finishes for me. "I know. Bars sell more than just alcohol. The point of this is to get you out of this room and to get a smile on your face. I asked a couple of girls from class to come along too. Chelsea, Kendra, and Ashley from our history class. Donovan is inviting some of his friends too. It'll be a group thing. And don't worry, he knows about your breakup so you don't have to worry about... you know. We have a couple hours, so you have time to mentally prepare yourself for tonight."

Knowing she'll gladly drag me out of here kicking and screaming, I don't bother arguing. Instead, I re-open my text book to get some studying done before I'm forced out of here.

***

Nadine gives me a light tap on my arm and I stop the quiet classical music playing through my headphones.