Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5

The next day I woke up early. I wanted to take my time in getting ready, I took a shower and applied some makeup. Then I spent about thirty minutes staring at the mirror, trying out different hairstyles. Finally I brushed my long blonde hair and decided to leave it loose. I ate my breakfast hurriedly and went out. I was really eager to get to school. As soon as I arrived I saw Lucy talking to a cute guy. He was handsome I had to admit but still, not a match to Mr Spencer I thought smugly. Oh! Him again. I couldn't stop thinking about him. I wanted to see him so badly! At the same time I was dreading going to English class. Lucy stopped talking to that guy and came near me.

“Hey Cas! You look lovely this morning. Trying to impress someone?” she asked me with a teasing smile.

“Is it that obvious?” I asked afraid that I had exaggerated.

“You won't pass unnoticed for sure.” she told me grinning. “We'd better get going the bell will soon ring .” she said walking away. I didn't move.

“What's the matter Cas?” she said turning to face me.

“I know it's stupid but I'm afraid... I don't know if I'm ready to face him after the canteen episode" I admitted.

“You'll have to. You can't avoid him forever. Do you have art with him as well today?” she asked.

“Yes, just after this lesson."

Lucy came near me and put her arm in the crook of my arm. “Come on Cas. Just don't look at him OK? Avoid his gaze, avoid eye contact and everything will be fine.”

“OK,” I replied doubtfully ”During English it won't be that difficult but during art it will be close to impossible.”

I walked with Lucy in silence, my heart pounding painfully in my chest. We arrived at the door and found it open. The students were already sitting down but he was not there yet. We reached our seats and sat down.

“How come he's late this morning?” she asked.

“I don't know, maybe he's not coming.” I replied.

On one hand, this was what I was hoping for but on the other I was really wishing to see him. I was yearning for his beautiful face and his penetrating eyes. His gaze was on me as soon as he came in. I didn't look back and instead fixed my eyes on my desk. I didn't want eye contact with him. My heart was beating so fast that I was sure he could sense it. I was feeling really unwell. My God how could this man have such power on me? He sat down and began to take the attendance. I waited nervously for my turn, wondering if he was going to call me or not, after all he knew I was there.

“Cassidy Hastley.” he called out.

“Here.” I said in a soft voice.

He pretended not to hear me and looked around the class.