Chapter Twenty-Three

That bath did wonders for you; you felt much better afterwards. You got dressed and the time passed quickly. Spencer and you spent the few hours before driving to Headquarters lounging around, reading, talking and drinking coffee. It was relaxing and homey and you loved it.

Spencer gave you a lasting gaze as you opened the door to his car and prepared to get out.

"Let me know if you need anything...at all. I'll probably just read in a coffee shop nearby."

You smiled and thanked him. Before you could take inventory of what you were doing, you leaned over to Spencer and kissed me on the cheek. He flushed a deep maroon and you looked at him coyly before stepping out of the car and walking to the building. Spencer lingered for a bit before pulling away, and you secretly wished that he was appreciating you as you walked away.

Halfway through the meeting with your Supervisor, your phone started to ring. It was a number you didn't recognize, but it was a DC area code, so you excused yourself and answered it.

"Agent (Y/L/N)." You found yourself saying. You were slightly surprised that you had fallen back into the swing of things so quickly just by getting out of the apartment and in a government building.

"Hey (Y/N)," Spencer's voice came through the line.

"Oh, Spencer! Hey. What's up? Is everything okay? I'm talking to my Supervisor now."

"Actually... I just got called into the office for a case. I'm swinging by the apartment to grab my go bag— I'll probably be gone for a day or two. Please don't feel like you have to leave the apartment. It's all yours, really. I know you are going to object, but... You know how this is."

"Spencer..." You knew you sounded extremely unsure. Frankly, you weren't sure whether you were more hesitant about overstaying your welcome or being alone after what you'd been through.

"Please?" Spencer seemingly pleaded with you.

"You are positive?"

"Yes, of course. And if there's anything you need, I'm just a phone call or text away. I'll let you know where I'm headed to gauge how long I'll be gone for."

You felt in a dreamy state. They way he was talking made it seem like you two had moved in together and were cohabiting lovingly.

"O-okay. Please let me know."

Spencer could hear the anxiety in your voice. "(Y/N), I can talk to Hotch if you don't feel comfortable staying alone."

"No! No. That's ridiculous. Go. And thank you so much for letting me stay. I don't know what I would do without you, Spencer."

The line went quiet for a minute and you could swear that you could hear Spencer smiling.

"I'll call you in a while. I'm putting a spare key to the apartment underneath the doormat."

"Okay, Spencer. Please be safe."

"Bye, (Y/N)."

You hung up the call and walked back into the meeting with Powell. He could tell that your mood was even better than before, and arched his eyebrows.

"Someone special calling?" He smirked at you with the mischievous smirk of an older brother. You smiled despite yourself.

"Just a friend. He's an Agent too, actually. He's generously putting me up at his place, but got called out of town on a case."

"Damn, really? Who would want a weirdo like you in their house....And alone, at that?" He smirked again and you rolled your eyes with a dramatic sigh.

"Yeah, yeah, very funny."

"Well hey, if you don't want to spend too much time binge watching Netflix, feel free to come binge watch with me and Samantha. You know she loves you. She's missed you a lot."

"That would actually be awesome. I'll take you guys up on that. Bet she could use a wine drinking date with all your wedding planning..." You laughed lightly, glad to know that your friends were happy.

After finishing up with Powell and the psychologist, you hailed a taxi back to Spencer's apartment. He called you during the ride over, and walked you through the questions you had about his apartment. He was about to board the plane to Georgia, so had to hang up in a hurry, much to your disappointment.

You got ready a while after making it back to Spencer's apartment. Samantha texted you and let you know that she was going to pick you up.

When you met her outside the apartment complex and slid into the car, she began to babble incessantly, pestering you for information about who you were staying with, what he looked like, and if you were interested in him.

You found yourself gushing back. It was so good to have a friend that you could be apart from for a while and pick right back up with. The night was great and was filled with gossip, catching up on each other's lives and a good bottle of white wine.

Powell insisted on calling an Uber and paying for it (his welcome back offering, he explained). You hugged Samantha goodbye, flushed from the drinks and happier than you had been in a long time. The Uber ride was uneventful. The driver played soul music and you hummed along to it softly, checking your phone.

1 Unread Text from Spencer.

You slid the notification bar to open the text.

"Hey, (Y/N). How is everything in D.C.? Are you ok? Tired of my apartment yet?"

You knew you were tipsy, but you let it guide your text back.

"Hey Spencer. Everything is going well, and I'm okay. I actually got to reconnect with a good friend tonight and we had a lovely time. How's your case going? Are you staying safe? I miss you..."

You clicked send before thinking it through, and willed Spencer to text back fast. Luckily, he did.

"I'm glad you are having a nice night. The case is okay; And of course I'm staying safe. I miss you too, (Y/N)."

You grinned at the phone. "Come back soon."

Spencer responded as you made it to the door of his apartment. "I will. Goodnight. Let me know if you need anything."

***
Happy Monday lovely humans! More updates coming soon. Prepare for more hurt/comfort and smut (!!!) in the following chapters :)