37

"You don't have to go to school tomorrow if it'll be too much for you

"You don't have to go to school tomorrow if it'll be too much for you." my dad suggests, but I shake my head to decline.

The rest of the day, after the shooting and being interrogated, I was sent home and I hadn't left my bed ever since. I've been in the same position with my knees up and I leaned forward to rest my chin on my arms. I couldn't stop staring at the wall and think of how all of this led up to this. Brennen out of all people brought a gun to school. He was just a sweet, charming guy who could get any girl he wanted, but got so angry because the girl he wanted was me and I rejected him.

"Alright, I'll be downstairs. Call me up if you need anything." my dad rubs my back then hugs me. "I'm just so lucky I didn't lose you too."

He lets go, quickly wiping a tear because I know he doesn't like me seeing him this emotional. He makes his way toward the door and my eyes shift from the wall to him.

"I love you, dad." I croak out after many hours of no speaking.

He turns around and smiles. His watery eyes very visible. "I love you too, Rylee. Now get some rest, okay."

I nod, lying back. I stare at the ceiling and I had an urge to tell the people in my life what I feel about them. After today, realization hit me and anything really could happen. I shoot up and jump off my bed. I grab my bag, throwing it on my back. I creep down the stairs, hearing my dad in the kitchen. He was talking on the phone, so I tiptoe to the door.

"Georgie," I hear my dad say and I freeze before slipping through the cracked door. "I don't know if you're listening to your voicemail or even have your phone anymore, but you really need to come home." a small sniffle comes from him. "Your family needs you an-and Rylee–"

I leave the house, not listening to the rest. I start walking down the street to my destination. It was dark and cold, I don't even know what I'll say. I got closer to a big sign that lit the name of the motel. I spot his car sitting in front of the door I'm assuming is his room. I knock and wait, but no answer. I knock harder and a lot more than last time. The door flies open and Harry appears with sleepy eyes. My eyes trail down his shirtless body and I cough softly.

"Hi," I say awkwardly glancing away.

"Rylee?" he says with a raspy voice. "What are you doing here? It's like two in the morning."

"I-I couldn't sleep." I look down at my hands, so I wouldn't get caught staring at him.

I finally look up to have his green eyes piercing into mine. He steps back, nodding his head to let me in. I slowly walk in to the small motel room that was dimmed by a lamp on his side table.

"Does your dad know where you are?" he asks and I shake my head, setting my bag onto the floor. "Of course he doesn't." Harry breathes out. I sit on his bed and stay quiet. Harry stands in front of me and waits for me to speak, but no words came from me. "Rylee, I know today was very tough. It was one of the most horrifying moments I've ever had at a school."

Harry kneels down and rests his hands on my knees. I look away to hide my watery eyes. He gently grabs my chin to look back at him and the tears fall.

"He came to the school with that gun because of me. He shot Will because he probably thought I had a thing with him. I-I never asked for him to fall in love with me. I just wanted friends. I didn't want to be known as that quiet girl who hangs out with Monique. I wanted my own friends like she has her own."

Harry wipes my tears away. "Maybe you should try to find girl friends next time." he jokes and I giggle softly, nudging his shoulder.

"Seriously Harry, how can you be joking around right now?"

"I guess it's my coping method. We need to move on somehow."

"What if I hadn't ran into you?" I ask. "I would've been caught by him, not knowing what to do and I would be dead right now. Your sense of humor would help you move on from my death?" I suck in a breath.

"B-but you're not dead."

"What if?" I say loudly, standing up. "I could be dead and you'd be joking about it."

"Rylee stop," Harry demands, grabbing my arm before I got ahold of my bag. "You're not dead and I'm so grateful that we ran into each other because the thought of you being dead would be the death of me as well." he tells me and I wipe my tears away, looking up at him. "Meeting you was the best thing that's ever happened to me."

"I wish we would've met differently." I sniffle then started to sob.

Harry pulls me closer and softly shushes me. "Please don't cry,"

"I thought you died, Harry." I tell him. "If you had died and I didn't then I would've been angry at myself for the rest of my life. I would've regretted the restart thing, pushing you away and not having that date you wanted because I have trust issues with guys. I would've hated myself for not even trying with you."

Harry squeezes me softly then pulls away. "It's okay. We're both okay and alive."

"No, it's not okay, Harry!" I back away. "Any of us could've di-"

"Yes Rylee," Harry interrupts. "But we're aliv-"

"I love you!" I blurt out. "I would've never gotten the chance to say that if we weren't alive." I say, taking in his shocked expression. "I know you're my teacher and your going through the divorce and so much more, but I love you, Harry."