Chapter 5

"It's that wonderful old-fashioned idea that others come first and you come second. This was the whole ethic by which I was brought up. Others matter more than you do, so 'don't fuss, dear; get on with it'." Audrey Hepburn

It's a long author's note, but please read. Important story, and some info regarding this story :)

---

Chapter Five

"Are you certain it is alright for us to be here, Mr Kensington?" asked Faith nervously as soon as Wade was gone.

Cassian wished she would not call him that. But he knew that as she was now part of his household that she was only being proper. "It is my house, Faith," he assured her.

"I know it is not normal for a housemaid to have a child," she stressed. "When women marry they leave employment, I know that. People might think I am an unwed mother."

"You are a widow, Faith," Cassian said softly. How could her husband not have left provisions for his wife and child? When Cassian married, if he ever married, then he would ensure that those he loved would be provided for upon his death. "If anyone has a problem with Lucy then they can answer directly to me."

He saw the relief upon Faith's face, just as her grip of Lucy's hand tightened. She smiled up at him, and he was glad to have brought her reassurance. Cassian hoped that there would be no conflict regarding Lucy. She seemed more like an inquisitive child, rather than a naughty one, anyway.

"Lucy will behave, I promise," Faith said vehemently.

"Good." Cassian smiled. "Would you like a tour?"

Faith's eyes immediately flitted around the foyer. She looked a little intimidated. That was not what Cassian wanted her to feel. He wanted her to be impressed. He wanted to show her that her generosity had not been for nothing.

"Come," he said encouragingly, selecting the drawing room first. Cassian opened the door into his drawing room. He never used the room, but it was decorated finely.

Expensive sofas, lush rugs, and historic timber furniture were expertly placed about the room. In pride of place was his stunning pianoforte. Cassian loved the music, but could not play himself.

It was remarkable, really, that Cassian had gone from death's door to enormous wealth in only three years. His home, and his things, ought to show Faith that she had invested in a clever man.

"This is the drawing room," said Cassian. "I hardly ever sit in here. But the maids keep it beautifully tidy. You will enjoy it more than I," he joked, but Faith did not respond.

Faith's attention was on a painting that hung on the wall. It was a portrait of a family. A mother, father, two sons, and a dog. Painted by a famous artist, he had been told, and purchased for a bargain.

"Who are these people?" she asked. Faith had let go of Lucy, who was now kneeling on the rug tracing the patterns with her finger.

Cassian suddenly felt very foolish, now realising that he had hung a painting of a family that he did not know. "It's a Jourdain," he murmured. "It will only increase in value."

Faith simply smiled. "I used to do that, too."

"What?" Cassian frowned.

"Collect pictures of people. It helps."

"I do not collect pictures of people," he rebuffed. "It is a Jourdain. It is expensive." He pursed his lips. "Helps with what?"

Faith sighed and looked back to the painting. "Loneliness."