The Contest

-Chapter 1-
The Contest
-(Y/N)'s POV-

---

I walked out of the small cafe I worked at and took a deep breath, it was around noon and slightly warm.
I paused and turned my head towards a mesmerizing voice that was singing, but I couldn't identify the song he was singing.
I walked closer and gasped as I saw a gorilla in a leather jacket, a green shirt with a lightning bolt, blue jeans, and blue converse leaning against a wall in an alleyway.
I noticed two officers walking down the sidewalk in my direction, and I glanced at the gorilla as his eyes widened and he ran into the alley and hid.
'Oh no....is he-is he in a gang? Maybe if I hurry up and get away I won't have to worry about being dragged into this. And if they get caught I won't have to tell them anything, I couldn't do that to the poor guy...'
I quickly ran across the street, my grey jacket flapping behind me, and I sighed when I made it across the street in one piece. I heard shattering glass and watched as the officers ran back and pointed, the gorillas hopped in a truck and drove.
I then saw the gorilla run after the truck and get pulled up by a gorilla in a bunny mask?
I took a look at him one more time before turning and heading to the store, hoping to get some groceries and possibly some new books.
---
I walked in the store and I held my bushy tail close to my body, fumbling with my hands nervously. Even though I've done this dozens of times...I just hate crowds...and other animals that give you mean looks as you walk by sometimes.
I got a cart and rushed to get some groceries, nearly running into a female pig.
"Ohmygoshimsosorry-" I sputtered, my ears flattening against my head.
"Oh! It's fine, no need to worry!" She said, and I wrung my tail nervously.
"Are you sure?" I asked, and she smiled at me and nodded.
"Of course! I'm Rosita, what's your name?" She asks, and I take a deep breath.
"(Y/N)," I say, and I immediately expect an insult from the female.
"Oh, what a wonderful name for a beautiful fox like you!" She exclaims, taking my paws in her hooves.
I blink several times and cock my head,
"Wait, what?" I ask, dumbstruck.
"It really is! White foxes are always pretty, but some are really mean. But you seem so nervous that I doubt you are." Rosita says, making my cheeks warm.
"T-thank you, Rosita..."
"Oh it's no problem, it's nice to get compliments every once in a while." She said, and I nodded.
I noticed the exhausted and kinda sad look in her eyes, and I immediately recognized it as the eyes of a mother.
I smiled at her warmly, making her confused.
"I'm sure you're a really great mother, Rosita. Keep doing what you're doing," I said, and I unconsciously wrapped my tail around myself.
She smiled and gave me a hug, shocking me. I slowly hugged her back, and when she pulled away she had the biggest smile on her face.
"Thank you, (Y/N). Have a good day," she said, and she waved as she walked away.
I shyly waved back, and began searching down the aisle for some food that looked appetizing.
---
I paid the cashier and left the store, slightly sad because I didn't find a book that interested me, and headed home.
I hummed a little tune as I walked down the street, and my mind wandered as I glanced around the street.
I was harshly ripped from my mind when a yellow piece of paper slapped against my snout.
"Yowch..." I mumbled, removing the sheet from my face and looking at it.
"Singing Competition Auditions....Grand prize of 100,000 dollars?!" I read, my eyes widening.
I nearly dropped the bags on my arms, but a friendly rhino passing by helped me real quick before continuing on his way.
I ran home with the flyer in my hands, quickly put all my groceries up, and began practicing for tomorrow.
I picked a song that I absolutely fell in love with when I first head it, and I'm not really sure why, but I do. It's called 'Pretty Girl' , and it's made by Maggie Lindemann.