Snake Eyes {5}

“Man, I didn’t even have to do anything!” Shaw said once I had finished telling him. We were sitting together in lunch.

                I nodded and smiled dreamily. God, Maxx was so attractive. Even now, I could see him sitting at his lunch table, grinning and talking to Chandler Martin. Chandler wasn’t that bad looking either, but Maxx was just…wow. Yea.

                My head snapped up as I realized Shaw was shaking me. I glanced at him and he rolled his eyes in annoyance.

                “Honestly Mark! Stop doing that when I’m trying to talk to you!” he whined.

                “Sorry I can’t help when I zone out!” I cried defensively.

                Shaw sighed and shook his head. “You’re hopeless. Anyways, I was trying to ask you if he’s even gay?”

                I paused and thought for a moment before shrugging. “Don’t know and don’t really care. He is sexy as hell, and I can live with that,” I said simply.

                “Who’s sexy as hell?”

                I yelped and jumped in Shaw’s lap, shocked at hearing Maxx’s curious voice. Maxx snickered, amusement in his eyes as he watched me.

                “Well? Who’s sexy as hell?” he asked, the amusement growing on his face. I gulped and glanced at Shaw who shrugged. Oh he was no help!

                “My…uh…my cat!” I said quickly, not even registering what I was saying.

                “Your cat is sexy as hell?” Maxx asked, trying not to laugh at me.

                OH SHIT. I DID NOT JUST TELL THE GUY I WAS PRETTY MUCH IN LOVE WITH THAT MY CAT WAS SEXY AS HELL, DID I?

                “Shaw, hole. Dig it,” I whispered. I would bury myself in a hole dug by Shaw, and suffocate to death in there. Yes, that sounded perfect right about now. Why couldn’t I ever zone out when I needed to?

                “Well, you s-see, uh, what I meant was that…Uh…I didn’t mean my cat,” I said miserably. “I meant, er, um, that my cat has the same name as a guy that’s sexy as hell,” I babbled nervously, coming up with a pathetic lie. Lying was so not my thing…

                “Is your cat’s name Maxx by any chance?” Maxx asked with a wink. I felt my face heating up as I slowly shook my head.

                “N-No. His name is Jude,” I said, avoiding eye contact. Don’t look into his eyes, Mark! I would blush even more and oh god I didn’t need that.

                “So you’re gay?” Maxx asked curiously, sitting down across from me and Shaw. Realizing I was still in Shaw’s lap, I slowly slid off of him and nodded.

                “Yea. I’m gay,” I said quietly. What if he was homophobic? Shit, I had never even bothered to find out if he was gay or not. Damn you, Shaw!

                “Nice,” he said with a nod. I glanced at him to make sure he wasn’t just joking around with me, and saw that he wasn’t. Well, at least he wasn’t a homophobe.

                He opened his mouth to ask me something, but Chandler came over and grabbed his arm. Maxx snapped his mouth shut and glanced at his best friend curiously.