Chapter 12

Chester the monkey has to be the only monkey I've met with the most enthusiastic personality ever. He was the animal I'm in charge for today at the animal zoology care place because Lilly said she can handle the other ones on her own. She said that Monday's are the days that she didn't really need help because every Monday, there's a nurse in training who comes into her place at the health room to get a feel of things.

To make Chester stay still while I cleaned him, I handed him a banana to snack on. Behind me I hear a click of the Pete's cage signaling he escaped again. I look back at him and shake head at him.

"Really Pete? Again?" I complain.

Squawk! "Again, again!" He mimics.

I huff in annoyance and roll my eyes, deciding to just let him roam around for now. At this point, there's no reason to put him back if he's just going to escape again.

Lilly comes waltzing in humming a catchy tune and pets Chester on the head saying hello. I roll up my sleeves revealing the bracelet, which makes my lips twitch upward in a slight smile. Lilly notices this and smirks.

"So Daniel huh?" She playfully says.

A slight blush forms onto my cheeks and I try to hide it with my hair. But I don't think I was quick enough to do so because I think Lilly notices but didn't say anything. Why did I smile and blush when seeing Daniel's name on the bracelet? I don't really know.  So, I don't know how to answer Lilly with a legitimate answer considering I don't know myself. I can't lie to her either. She already saw the not so subtle redness of my cheeks and the bright smile when I saw the bracelet.

So, I just decide to answer her with the most truthful answer I could muster up in my head. "We're just friends Lilly" I say to her. And it's true because that's all we are. Nothing more and nothing less. In all honesty though, I can't help but not hide the fact that I feel something more. But I have other things to be focusing on right now so I push those thoughts to the back of my mind to worry about later.

Lilly scoffs and rolls her eyes. "Ok. Whatever you say Elise".

The next hour consisted of me just cleaning out the animal's habitats. While I was cleaning, Daniel walked by, probably picking up Katie, and when he saw me, he waved and showed me the wrist that held the friendship bracelet. After he did that, I felt really giddy and all smiley on the inside.

I smile looking down at mine and then went back to cleaning, getting ready to close up. Lilly is in the back making sure all of the habitats are closed and locked. After waving bye to Lilly, I unlock my car and swing myself inside.

The drive home was a silent one. I didn't turn on the radio or plug in my phone. I soon discover that, that was a mistake on my behalf. The thoughts that I didn't want to resurface did, making me both happy and sad. The thought was Daniel. Daniel was the one who made me happy but with Daniel, also came Katie.

I don't know what her deal is. Her moods are giving me whiplash. She, at first, came off as nice but now...I'm not so sure. I would still like to think she's nice but, there's something about her that gives me weird vibe. I wonder if this is what Maya was talking about, that day of the dinner at her house.

My thoughts get too clouded in my mind. So much that I don't realize that I'm already pulling into my garage. When I step into my house the delightful scent of my parents cooking dinner hits my nose.

"Hi Mom! Hi Da-" I start, once I enter the dining room but pause when I see that Willa and Violet are also sitting at the table.

"Um, don't forget us!" Willa exclaims while signing.