Chapter 14: If you aren't the one fucking, you'll be fucked instead

CHAPTER 14:
- IF YOU AREN'T THE ONE FUCKING, YOU'LL BE FUCKED INSTEAD -

Eat or be eaten.

Kill or be killed.

There must've been a reason why nature chose such a simple, yet unreasonable law to abide by. As Nikolas stared at the window of his room through which he could see the lights of his neighbor's room turning off, he wondered what was it that has brought him here.

Although he found the entire quarrel to be childish and utterly ridiculously, at the same time it was his way of having fun. He has been in various life-threatening situations even he had no idea how he managed to survive, but none of them could even amount to the rush of excitement he felt when fighting Alis.

Like a chess game.

Strike, then strike back. Him and Alis were the kings of court, and their pranks their moves. It was normal for the flow to go quietly and peacefully, little by little and none of their past successes would matter anymore once the opposing king falls down.

He wasn't really interested in winning, seeing as he was going to move out in few weeks, but something just didn't allow him to move out before he saw the entire deal until the end. It wasn't his pride, he wasn't a fool.

Had it been his pride to show who's the boss, he would've gone to extreme measures to make her move out from the very start. Now that he thinks about it, he would've probably threatened her with a gun. Simplest and the most terrifying way, indeed.

Yet for some reason, he chose to abide by her rules.

Could it be that he liked her? Nikolas discarded the thought as soon as if came to him. Like, no way in Hell - it was more like he was interested in fucking her. He, for a while, didn't want to have a partner. He was fucked-up and asšhole, he would've only broken the girl that was unfortunate enough to be with him.

"I'm getting old," he mumbled to himself, having only Charles and the cold night to bear witness to his words. True, he was already thirty and he had calmed with the fact that he was never going to have a child nor wife - he couldn't afford himself to get one when the guilt of having lost Ava would've destroyed him. He wouldn't have been able to bring himself to look his family in their eyes when he would've seen that which he had lost instead.

Maybe, if it's arranged marriage or something, he would be able to deal with. His family was no joke, everyone expected of him to leave another descendant, to carry on the Duke title. His father never really bothered him about it, Nik could swear that that man lived only for the sake of witnessing the fall of their family - yet even Nikolas knew that the most dangerous and demanding expectation are the ones there was no need to voice out.

He sighed again, wondering if something would've been different had he said those "I love you too" words back to her, had he realized how important Ava was to him before setting off to find her... Maybe, had he been a bit earlier, she wouldn't have been killed.

He knew that he shouldn't regret it, yet at the same time he couldn't help it. Thanks for him looking for mysterious Ava Niall all over the world that somehow appeared again in London, he found his sister, Kaley. Then, he put both his and Vincent's heart at ease by riding them from pain of not knowing anything about you family. Neither could know which one was worse; possibility of her being dead or her being alive, yet in dangerous situation. The day Vincent saw Kaley... Nikolas could swear that man regained two decades of lost time while searching for her.

Of course, she had a child and all, but her situation wasn't the best. She was forced to hide in London by her father-in-law while her husband thought that she was dead. It was quite the mess, they went forth and back with problems, her husband just so happened to be a really important guy and media had them by their necks, but in the end - it was all worth it.