Tell Me Where He Is

Tell Me Where He Is

"WHERE IS HE?"

Sirius Black's face was scarlet with anger, his eyes laced with a hatred so absolute that Severus Snape had absolutely no doubt in his mind that he could kill him. It was a wonder - a miracle, really - that the anger hadn't already exploded out of him.

Sirius's wand pressed into Severus's jugular so hard, his hand shaking, his fist tight 'round Snape's shirt, holding him fast.

"TELL ME OR I'LL BLAST YOUR FUCKING HEAD OFF! I SWEAR TO MERLIN, I'LL DO IT!"

Severus Snape cowered against the window.

There was really only one way to play this.

Remus was behind Sirius, pulling his shoulder, trying to make him back off, and Sirius bucked him away. "LET GO OF ME!" he bellowed, "DON'T TOUCH ME!" He glared at Severus. "TALK, YOU CURSED SCUM!"

"Sirius. Please." Remus begged, looking over his shoulder.

Aurors were coming.

People were drawing their wands, brave souls seeking to stop whatever it was that was going on. Remus was sick. He didn't know what the hell happened, what was making Sirius act like this... Had Sirius gone mad, for real gone mad?

Aurors came up and pulled Remus away, grabbed onto Sirius's shoulders and Sirius shrieked with an unholy anger, shaking, dropping his wand as he was yanked back, and in the commotion, as he kicked and bellowed, Severus Snape saw his moment and he ducked away.

"SIRIUS!" Gideon Prewett had Sirius's left leg in his grip as literally four aurors had to hold him in the air - one on each limb. "SIRIUS! CALM DOWN!" Gideon looked desperately around at some of the aurors that were backing him up. "Somebody get word to Charlus Potter and Dorcas Meadowes. Something's wrong with the boy."

"LET ME GO! LET ME GO!! HE'S GETTING AWAY!" Sirius bellowed, "LET ME GO! HE'S GOT JAMES!"

"Sirius please!" Remus cried from the sidelines as Sirius bucked and cried and raged. "Please, you're going to get into so much trouble."

"I NEED TO FIND JAMES!" Sirius wailed, "HE'S GOT JAMES! HE'S GOT JAMES SOME PLACE, MOONY! ASK MY BROTHER! ASK MY BROTHER, HE'LL TELL YOU, REMUS, HE'LL TELL YOU WHAT HE TOLD ME!"

Gideon and the three others that were restraining Sirius pulled him away from the crowd - another auror grabbed Sirius's wand - and they disapparated with him in a flash and a crack.

Remus stared at the place they'd been with a pale face. What just happened? Where were they taking Sirius? What would they do to him? He felt frantic and he looked about to find James, so they could figure out what to do, where to go to help Sirius, but... And so it was that it wasn't 'til after Sirius and the aurors that had caught him were gone that Remus realized James Potter had disappeared, too.

Without even waiting to see what was wrong with his mate.

Attacked or no, James Potter would never leave Sirius Black so coldly as that.

Not loyal-to-a-fault James Potter.

Remus's heart rate picked up and he looked about as people started talking about what happened - That was one of the Black boys, they were saying, You've heard of that family haven't you? Death Eaters, the lot of'em... - and Remus drew his wand and ducked 'round the corner of Quality Quidditch Supplies, carrying the wand in his fist.

This was the only way that James could have gone the way the crowd had been surrounding them, Remus deducted quickly as he went, ducking 'round barrels of butterbeer that loomed, waiting to be tapped at the Leaky Cauldron... and he came 'round a bend and found he'd come to a dead end and there, sitting on an old crate, loosening his tie and doubled over, catching his breath, was Severus Snape.