16.

*unedited 🙃

Two days later...

I have to reset the store for the new season. Summer in the flower shop is bright and a bit chaotic, but it might be my favorite season. I have tall sunflowers in a big vase in the front of the store and sunflowers throughout. This year I planted double yellow zinnia's that have bloomed perfectly in my greenhouse. I place those with the sunflowers as well as some white and bright blue accent flowers.

"Wow, you've done more than I expected." Carley says walking in with coffee and a box of doughnuts. I grab the box from her and grab the strawberry frosted and take a huge bite.

My phone buzzes with a text from Ryder.

What are you doing?

Working. Why aren't you? I write back.

Well, I don't create the fires to put them out, Ads. So I wait.

Hmmmm, sounds like an easy job.

So easy.

It's stupid that I miss you.

Yeah that is stupid. I saw you two days ago.

Come by the firehouse tonight. I want to show you something.

I might be able to fit you in.

"Are you sexting?!" Carley jumps up dropping her doughnut on the floor and grabbing my phone. I try to snatch it back but it's too late.

Carley is giggling to herself as she reads through our messages.

"Carley," I groan and grab another doughnut. I might as well stuff my face until she decides she's done.

"You guys are so flipping cute!" Carley says handing me back my phone casually, like I gave it to her to look at.

"Shut up and just say fucking. Who the hell says flipping? Besides grandmas and middle schoolers," I say rolling my eyes.

"You're in loooove," she sings.

"Again. Shut up."

"Addy, my best friend, I love you and I know you so well so I have to say this," she takes a dramatic breath.

I wait and wait some more. She is now on her phone acting like we weren't having a conversation.

"Out with it Carley," I say.

"Sorry. You have a tendency to screw things up. On purpose. Don't do that with Ryder. He gets your weird and likes it," Carley is smiling at me and I want to smack her.

"Sorry," she says again.

"I didn't screw up with Graham," I argue.

"I know. Sometimes you purposely screw things up though. Like when you dated that guy who had that peanut allergy so you kept accidentally bringing peanut butter to things."

"How would I love without peanuts?" I ask.

"Okay. How about that time in college when you were working on a project with that guy and when he asked you out you dropped the class? That was extreme, even for you."

"I was still dating Graham."

"Fine. What about when you decided to get a dog knowing Graham wouldn't be okay with that?"

"It wasn't my fault."

"I know," Carley says, "I just don't want you to screw this one up. Ryder could be the one."

"Did you really just say the one? Fuck, you're the worst. Seriously, the worst." I say standing up and start working again. Carley joins and turns the music up loud so all of our conversation is forgotten.

***
I'm here. I text Ryder. I'm not sure if a person can just walk into a firehouse. It seems odd. If that was the case females would be banging down the door for a glimpse inside.

Ryder opens the door wearing sweatpants that hang low on his hips and a gray t-shirt that looks soft and warm. I want to rub my face against it.

Don't be weird, Addy.

"Hey," he says kissing me and leading me inside and up the stairs. He avoids looking at any of the guys that wander around the house.

"So you sit around all day and wait?" I ask.

He shakes his head, "no. We inspect the trucks, paper work, sometimes we have courses to take. Then at night we wait."

"You sleep here?" I ask.

"Yup."

"Interesting," I say wandering around the space. "Where's the pole?"

"I'm not showing you the pole," He says.

"Why not?!"

"Because I know you," he laughs and my stomach bottoms out. He can't know me that well. We barely know each other.

Everything with Ryder has been too easy. Finding him, feeling comfortable with him, wanting him. It's too much too soon.

"Why do you look like you're thinking? That makes me nervous," Ryder says grabbing my hand and leading me up more stairs.

"I'm not thinking."

"Come on," Ryder says.

Ryder opens a red metal door that leads to the roof. We are standing on the center of the roof looking at the setting sun and a view of downtown.

"Wow," I say looking at the way the pink, yellow, and orange swirl together to create a perfect sunset.

"That's your shop," Ryder says pointing straight ahead. I can see the top of the dark green awning.

"And you said you couldn't live up to my date," I say nudging into him. He wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me so I'm sitting in front of him. He leans his head on my shoulder and his beard tickles my neck.

"This is a lot," I say.

"What do you mean?" He asks.

"Too much too soon. I want this but I don't like how this is making me feel." My heart is pounding and I want to push him away and pull him closer at the same time.

"How is it making you feel?"

"Good and bad."

"Addison, you sure do have a way with words." Ryder comments and kisses my neck.

"Do you care about what I'm saying?" I ask.

He shakes his head, "not really."

"Okay." I say and lean back on his chest.

Maybe this is what it's like to find someone that understands you without even having to say the words.