Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Elle

“What the hell are you two wearing?” I asked the two boys in front of me, as I came down the staircase. Before me were two boys. One was wearing pink pants, a blue, horizontally striped shirt that wasn’t tucked in, and a pair of those weird boat shoes. The other one had on a T-shirt and mesh shorts.

“Clothes,” Nick answered simply.

“Yes, but what would possess a person to wear pink pants?” I asked him. “I mean, I don’t even wear pink pants, and I’m a girl!”

“That’s a very sexist statement, Ms. Paterson,” he said, shaking his finger at me disapprovingly.

“Psh. Okay Nick. Just a question- aren’t shirts generally supposed to be tucked into your pants?”

“Maybe. I don’t really care,” he said, shrugging his shoulders.

“Where are you guys even going?”

“You know what, I think you’ve asked enough questions, Elle. My turn,” Nick said. “Where are you going?”

“Out,” I answered civilly.

“Where?” John questioned, bending down to tie his neon orange shoelace.

“A party,” I replied.

“Oh, I thought the dress was just you trying out a new look,” Nick said. Yes, I was indeed wearing a dress. People grow up, and I’m in college now, so I think it’s about time for me to move on and (possibly) drop all my previous animosity towards dresses and skirts. I mean, they’re not really that bad. The one I was wearing now, my mom had bought me a while ago. It’s this bright turquoise-y color with a thin pink belt in the middle. It’s… pretty.

“Hey Nick,” John began.

“Yes Jonathan?” Nick said very formally.

“Aren’t you also going to a party on this fine day?” John questioned, keeping up the proper banter Nick had started.

“Why, yes, I am!” Nick said, smiling at me.

“Uh huh. And whose party are you going to?” I asked. It can’t be the same one as mine. I mean what are the odds?

For Jordan’s birthday this past year, he was allowed to choose any form of transportation, and my parents would buy it for him. Being the naïve people my parents can be at times, they thought he’d choose a nice sports car or a motorcycle like any other normal twenty year old. Jordan is not normal. He asked for a boat. That’s right, a boat. Jordan didn’t have a boating license (I think that’s what it’s called) at the time. My dad was surprised, but got it for him nonetheless. I told my dad after this whole incident that for my twentieth birthday, I would be requesting a plane.

So anyways, the party is on Jordan’s boat. Jordan’s big boat, which is more like a yacht. Now, he goes to school in Boston, but for some reason the boat isn’t in Boston Harbor; it’s in one of the cute little suburbs off the ocean. I think my aunt actually has a summerhouse there… Oh well.

“Well my future brother-in-law’s of course!” Nick said.

“And who would that be? Aspen’s brother?” I asked.

“No silly! Aspen’s an only child!” he said, laughing lightly. “Jordan.”

“As in Jordan Paterson, my brother?”

“Yes, you’re brother. Geez Elle, I would think you’d now your own brother’s name!” Nick said, shaking his head.

“Why the hell are you going to my brother’s party?” I questioned.