Chapter 12

After gazing out of the window in the guest room for hours lost in my thoughts, I decide sleep is the only way to speed up the process of leaving. However, no matter how grand and comfy the bed is, I toss and turn all night. After an agonising night, dawn finally appears and I watch it develop until it is a suitable hour to get up.

I roll out of bed and stretch, letting out a deep sigh. My feet pad across the luxurious carpet towards the ensuite bathroom, where I take shower. Scents of vanilla and apricot fill my senses as I lather myself in body wash, momentarily transporting me from my current situation. Once finished, I perform simple skincare, tie back my hair and redress in yesterday's clothes.

After I check on Jane, I reluctantly go downstairs and enter the dining room. I feel a wave of relief when I spot only Charles eating a bowl of cereal. We acknowledge each other and converse as I pour myself a cup of coffee and reach for an apple. I reveal to him that Jane is in a better condition to go home, and text my dad to tell him to pick us up.

Following my light breakfast, I return to the guest room and fold my bed and put my used towels in the laundry basket. I then go to Jane's room to wake her and tidy up.

Eventually, I feel the vibration of my phone in my pocket, signalling that dad is outside. I hear him knocking on the front door and the voices of him and Charles talking from the hallway.

They both come into the room and support Jane going downstairs as I follow behind carrying Jane's handbag. I take over from Charles once we reach the door, and together dad and I bundle Jane into the back of the car.

I pace once more across the tarmac and stop outside the front door to say goodbye to Charles.

"Thank you for looking after my sister so well and allowing me to say," I say to him.

"No bother," he smiles, "It was good to see you both, hopefully we can see each other again soon."

"Yes, definitely-" I begin but am interrupted when I spot William to my left walking towards the door.

"Thanks again," I reply quickly, eager to avoid William.

However, I turn around and move too fast on the steps, causing me to lose my balance and lurch forward.

I almost fall to the ground before I feel a pair of strong arms grab my waist, steadying me. I gasp in response, partly due to my near fall but mostly due to the fact that William helped me.

"Tha-nks," I stutter, looking at him in shock.

He nods and looks away quickly, walking briskly indoors. Charles mirrors my shocked expression and stares at him open mouthed as he passes.

We both offer each other a final goodbye before I turn towards the car, feeling slightly light-headed with embarrassment and confusion.

What just happened?