Chapter 19

Highly Suspect - My Name Is Human

Reece

I narrowed my eyes, trying to make sure that what I was seeing was actually there.

The dark bruise stared back at me.

"Adrianne-" I started, in disbelief.

"Look, I was going to tell you-" she put her hands up, looking wary.

"Tell me what? Adrianne, what the hell happened?!" I growled.

"I... " She stuttered.

My mood softened when I saw the look of pain and uneasiness on her face.

I didn't do this, did I?

I met her eyes again.

"Adrianne, what happened?" I asked, much more softly now.

She sighed and crawled off of me onto the passenger seat. She grabbed her shirt and started to put it back on in a rush.

"I should have told you," I heard her say.

"Tell me," I said, leaning close. She took a deep breath and sighed before looking out the window.

"Julian."

My blood turned cold, and I felt my anger start to boil as I turned forward. I grabbed the steering wheel, seeing my knuckles turned white.

Julian. Of course.

"What happened?" I could barely speak, I was grinding my teeth so hard.

"He... told me to stay away from you. First at the bar... and now this, today." I heard the pain in her voice, but I couldn't bring myself to look at her.

That motherfucker. I'm gonna slit his fucking throat.

"Why didn't you tell me?" My voice was full of rage.

She didn't speak, just opened her mouth and closed it. She looked lost.

"I... I don't know."

"I'm gonna kill him," I muttered.

"Reece, that's why I wanted to talk." She reached out and grabbed one of my hands, holding it in both of hers. I looked at her, seeing tears in her eyes.

"I don't think that... I'm good for you," she whispered. I saw her face turn with emotion.

My anger instantly vanished.

No.

Please.

"Adrianne, no. How could you say that?" I held her face in my hands. Her eyes brimmed with tears. "You are... the best thing that's ever happened to me."

She pulled away, and my hands fell.

"You may think that, but... I'm not so sure," she responded.

"Adrianne, it's true. You don't understand, I-" I broke off and glanced up at the roof of my car. "You convinced me to change. You've made me want to be a better person. To stop living the way I do and see that it could be so much better."

"Reece-" She tried to protest, but I grabbed her hands.

"Before I met you, I only kept going because that was all I thought I had to do. But now I have you to live for." I drag my thumb under her eye, wiping away a small tear.

"I felt like I didn't have a purpose. I didn't know what I was doing. But now I do."

"But... Julian. He said he would hurt me if he saw me with you again."