Secret Chapter 8 (Final)

*****

*Jayden*

"Corey, where are you going?" I asked walking into the kitchen. I had been woken by my alarm clock to find his side of the bed empty, which wasn't unusual, but he wasn't supposed to be doing anything that would require him to be up early.

"Sean called. We have to –"

"No." I cut him off with a frown, "We agreed that today we were spending some time together. Some time with the kids. You're supposed to take time off."

"This is an emergency." Corey said placing the bowl he had just finished eating out of into the sink, I tried not to be irked by the fact that he did not even attempt to clean it, "And wait, why do I have to be the one that takes time off? Why can't you?"

"You know why. I just started work." I said.

"And before that, you were studying and interning –"

"Yeah, trying to get this job." I cut him off.

"The point is that you're always busy. Even before you started, you were barely home. Why is our schedule planned around you?" He said.

"Around me? You're the one who has to work at random times that we can't even plan around –"

"You know that I can't help that. It's not like people attack the pack between nine and five and I'm only needed during working hours." He said. I don't know when our voices began rising, but it was only making both of us more aggravated.

I was too frustrated to try to calm our speaking. "You're not the only leader in this pack, why can't someone else handle it for once? You're never here, Corey!" I was getting frustrated.

"You can't tell me I'm never here when you're at work 24/7, Jayden. It's like you don't even want to be here! At least I'm still nearby and did not get a job as far away from here as possible!"

"Don't yell, you'll wake them up!" I exclaimed. As if on cue, Eli's crying erupted from upstairs before Tamia quickly followed.

Corey and I frowned at each other before we ran upstairs and I took Tamia from her crib. I tried to soothe her, bouncing her gently as Corey did the same to Eli. I glared at my mate and he looked upset as he tended to Eli. The kids did not need the hostile atmosphere we had between us at the moment... I sighed before looking at Tamia as she began to play with my shirt once she stopped crying. I stuck my tongue out at her because it always seemed to get a laugh and she returned a sleepy smile that instantly made me squint at her cheek. Is that a dimple? How... but she didn't have... How did I not notice...?

"Jay? Wait, I'm sorry." I lifted my arm to wipe away tears with my wrist as Corey walked up to me, "Please don't cry, I'm sorry." He said softly.

"I work too much," I said through my tears.

"No, no. Um –"

"She has dimples." I cut him off.

"What? No, she doesn't..." Corey looked at Tamia just as she pouted up at us and he swallowed, "She has dimples..." He mumbled before at me with glistening eyes. "How the hell could we miss that?" He whispered.

"We're so selfish."

Corey sighed. "We barely see them." He said. He pulled his phone from his pocket and dialled a number.

"Who are you calling?" I asked.

"Corey? Where are you?" I heard Sean's voice.

"Something came up. Have Jason fill in for me." Corey said.

"What do you mean 'something came up'?"

"Something came up with the twins. I'll call you later."

"The twins? Are they okay? Um, yeah – I'll call Jason. Call me when you can."