17.

A few days later...

"We're still on for Sunday right?" My dad asks for the fifth time during our seven minute phone call.

"Yes," I say again.

"With Ryder?" He asks.

"Uhm.. I'll get back to you. Gotta go bye, love you," I say in one breath. If I don't end it my dad will keep talking and repeating.

"Your dad?" Ryder asks coming from a run with Boomer. They are both slightly out of breath as they wander into my bedroom.

I nod, "he wants us both to come to dinner on Sunday. You don't have to."

"I want to," he says kissing me on the head and heading toward the bathroom to shower.

Boomer and I look at each other, I shrug, "I don't know when he got so comfortable either."

I turn on the TV and I'm watching some wedding show when Ryder comes back in. His curls are damp against his head and he is rummaging around for his clothes in a towel.

Fall towel fall. I basically chant.

"If you want me to let go, I can," Ryder says with a wink.

"Shit did I say that out loud?"

"Yup. All you have to do is ask," he says walking over to me letting the towel fall.

He is on top of me before I know it. Kissing my neck and inching his fingers up my shirt.

"No, I have to go meet Carley. Her sister is getting married," I say a bit breathless.

"We won't be long," he says continuing his lazy trail.

"Yes it will. Ryder," I push him off of me and run into the bathroom to get ready. I can hear him groan.

"Your mom is going to kill me, Boomer." I hear him say. I laugh to myself because at least I'm not the only one that talks to dogs. I can't wait to tell Carley.

When I get out of the bathroom Ryder is sitting at the kitchen table with Boomer at his feet.

"Boomer is getting too attached," I say grabbing my bag and keys off the counter.

"That's not a bad thing," he replies looking at me with his light blue eyes. I almost maul him but I can control myself.

"It could be," I tell him.

"Why?" He asks.

"You could leave us both or I could leave or we can leave each other," I ramble.

"Done?"

I nod.

He sighs, "I want to come with you to dinner on Sunday and I want to keep seeing you. We could leave each other but maybe it will work out, right?"

"I guess," I mumble, "I'll see you later."

I'm halfway to the door when I feel his arms snake around my waist. I turn around in his arms and kiss him, "bye, Addison."

***
"So he talks to dogs too?" Carley asks when I sit down with her at a small table in some fancy cafe that her sister recommended.

"Yeah, it might be too perfect. Have you seen Gabe lately?" I ask.

She holds her hand up, "it's not too perfect. And yes."

"Why haven't you told me?" I ask.

"We've been discussing you and Ryder," she says.

"We can talk about you and Gabe too."

"We will," Carley says trailing off when we see her sister enter the cafe.

Rosie is nothing like Carley. She is all drama and might be a bit psychotic. But she's Carley's family so she's basically mine too.

Rosie is wearing a short white dress and high wedges even though the rain has been splattering off and on all day.

"Addy, how've you been?" She asks kissing me on the cheek.

"Good. Congratulations," I say gesturing to the giant rock on her finger. She flashes it at me quickly and says thanks.

"Let's just get this over with," Carley mumbles loud enough for us both to hear.

Rosie pretends she doesn't hear her and pulls out stacks of wedding magazines. I see classic white bouquets with accent colors and inwardly groan. I hate making arrangements that anyone could make.

"I'm thinking something like this," Rosie says pointing a manicured finger at a large centerpiece with white roses and calla lilies.

"Okay," I say writing down what she is saying. Carley stays quiet except for the occasional eye roll.

"Have you been dating?" Rosie asks both of us. Carley shakes her head no but my face lights up red like a fucking Christmas tree.

"Who?" Rosie asks leaning close to me. I can smell her expensive perfume and her fake enthusiasm.

"This guy, Ryder, I met about a month ago," I say quickly, hoping that she will move the conversation back to herself.

"Ryder?" She says, "I dated a Ryder. A firefighter." She is talking like we aren't even here. She looks almost lost in her memories.

Memories that I want to rip the fuck out of her skull.

"How long ago?" I ask and Carley is back to paying attention. Her mouth set in a straight line with narrowed eyes at her sister.

"Two years maybe. He wasn't looking for a relationship and I would take him anyway I could," she giggles and smiles at me like she knows exactly what's happening.

"Why do you ask?" She asks innocently. I wonder if she's known all along.

"I think it's the same Ryder," I say defeated.

She fake gasps, "he's my fiancee's cousin."

"What?" I basically scream. I can feel the stares of the up-tight employees and even more stuck-up costumers.

"So, I guess I'll only have to send out one invitation?" Rosie asks with a smile I want to smack.

Why am I so violent?

I open my mouth to respond but Rosie cuts me off, "Or maybe I should send out two, just in case things don't work out."

I can feel Carley tense up next to me so I grab her hand to hold her back from acting on the violent thoughts probably running through her head as well.

Carley and I stand up and I say, "great. I'll be in touch," and we head out of the cafe even before placing our orders.

"Fuck. Fuck. Fuck." I say as we head towards our cars.

"She's a bitch, Addy, don't worry about her and what she said." Carley says placing her hand on my arm to try to calm me down.

"It's not what she said. It's what she said he said."

"The no relationship thing?" She asks. I nod.

"Don't take anything Rosie says too seriously, believe me, I know when she isn't telling the whole truth."

And with that I get into my car and drive for a while. I turn my brain off with loud music and hope that when I get back home Ryder is gone.