Chapter 23 - "Make new friends. Problem solved."

"Elliot."

Elliot started and jerked her head up. Beck was staring at her from the other couch, bent over his knees, hands clasped and his eyebrows raised in question. Elliot opened her mouth, closed it then scowled.

"What were we doing?" she asked.

"We were trying to flush out Weston's timeline in the book until you drifted off into your head for five minutes."

"Five minutes, really? How time flies when you are ignoring work and battling the imagined arguments of your two friends."

Beck leaned back on the couch, propping one ankle on his knee, studying her.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked.

Elliot shrugged and sank back onto the cushions.

"There's nothing to talk about," she said. "Cece has locked herself in her room for the last four days writing and Milo has been peevish to the point that girls no longer flirt with him."

"What's wrong with Cece writing?"

"Cece writes for two reasons. One, when she gets inspired. Two, when she's avoiding something."

Elliot put her head in her hands letting out an annoyed growl.

"Why couldn't they fight with other people I don't know," she said. "I hate being in the middle of this kerfuffle."

"Nice word choice. What if you didn't get involved?"

Elliot raised her head and looked at him with a flat stare.

"You realize by doing that I would be left with no best friends, thus eliminating my group of friends."

"Make new friends. Problem solved."

"Do you imagine that is easy for someone with my snarky disposition?"

Beck shrugged.

"I don't know," he said, "I always figured the entire world had an easier time making friends than me." 

"You can't honestly think that?"

"If you met me at a party, would you talk to me?"

"Talk to you? Yes. Assess that your good looks were your only good quality and walk away? Also yes."

Beck gestured to her.

"So you see why I believe it's easier for anyone else to make new acquaintances."

"I get that. I did want to strangle you with your bow tie when I first met you."

"Not a fan?"

"Of you?"

"Of bow ties?"

"It was the easiest means of strangulation in that scenario. The second was my belt."

"Right. So you are a fan of bow ties, but just for their alternative uses."

"I always say use what's in front of you," Elliot said. "Or I just said for the first time ever but will be making it my catch phrase."

"I would find a new one."

"Use for the bow tie?"

"No, catchphrase."

She shrugged.

"Alright," she said, "if you feel that strongly about it."

"It was just a suggestion."

"You're adamant about it, fine. It's dropped." 

Beck fought back a mystified smile and shook his head. Elliot's gaze travelled off to the right, as her brow became creased with troubled thoughts.