Chapter 29: Confirmations..

Evelyn's POV

"Did you talk to him?" Chrissy asked.

"Of course not! I waited the entire night. And the next day I get to hear from his mouth that he was out with his ex the entire night!" I said as I blew my nose with a tissue.

"The entire night? How would you know that? I heard him Kate. But whatever he said could also mean that he just met her and came back." She said in a duh tone.

"You think so?" I asked.

"Of course! Now go talk to him!" She pushed me to stand up.

I stood up.... but instead of going to him I went into the back garden. I took out my phone and called Nick. "Nick.... come down to the back garden." I whispered.
All I heard was the sound of his breathing. I simply cut the call and didn't wait for his reply because I knew he's going to be coming down by now.

"Evelyn?" He called out and I looked back at him and nodded for him to come forward and sit next to me. He frowned when he saw I was sitting alone especially with just a robe covering my previous outfit. "What are you doing here? All by yourself?" He asked as he sat down next to me. Very close I must say.

"I wanted to just... talk to you. I mean... you know.... we haven't been on good terms since I moved out. So...." I trailed not knowing how to start off.
"You remember? That day when I came back home seeing you and Barbara in each other's arms-"

"That was because that girl was psychic. She wanted to commit suicide because I married you and not her. And in case you forgot... I did say Isabella was there and she was in the washroom when you actually arrived and saw us.... hmph..." he sighed but I smiled knowing that he's telling the truth.

"And then one day you slapped me!" I frowned at that memory. That still brought a painful squeeze to my heart.

"That was because you were riling me up... but that's not an excuse" he narrows his eyes at me as he pulled me to face him.

"Yeah... but that wasn't riling... I was just talking about Melanie and you got angry cause I called her a bitch." I reminded him.

"Yeah? I don't even remember why we fought. But that was definitely not because you cursed her. I told you earlier... it was just a reflex..."

"Mhmm..." I just hmphed at what he said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He made an ugly snarl at me.

"It's ok. Forget it. It's in the past now, we are already getting a divorce. What more can we do about it? Right?" I said and his eyes had that confusion mixed with pain, but he kept quiet looking down at his lap. "So... what plans do you have after this? Is there going to be a quick wedding with-" I stopped when his eyes snapped at me.

"With?" He hissed.

"Melaanieee...?" I said with a confused fake smile but quickly snapped my mouth shut when I looked his way and saw his glare directed towards me.

"I didn't know you daydream about making my life a nightmare." He sent a rather rough, scary smirk.

"Daydream?" What is he actually taking about?

"Why do you want make my life hell getting me married to that girl." he said but his face had softened now as he pat my head lovingly. There was a rare emotion I saw in his eyes. Like he could read and understand me now. And I definitely didn't like that.

"Isn't that what you want?" I asked softly. I didn't think he heard. But he replied anyways.

"Why do you assume what I want. Ask me and I'll tell you. Melanie is definitely not on my list." He said with a genuine smile gracing his lips as he pulled my head onto his chest and I felt him kiss the top of my head.