Cloudburst

I stood under the unstable roof of the bus shelter, just like I always did every other day of the week, but today it was raining.

The rain to me, was like the unshed tears I could never bring myself to let out. I'd just observe the inconsistent flow as if it were the most fascinating thing I had ever laid eyes on, until the droplets stopped hitting the puddles it created, slowly, then all at once.

I heaved a sigh before letting my eyes trail around the street. Pedestrians walking left and right, probably heading towards school or work. The cars driving in and out of my view, stopping and going at the lights. All while I kept my feet planted on the ground, sliding them back and forth from time to time to get out of the uncomfortable position I had myself in.

Sometimes it felt like I wasn't in my own body. I'd be moving, going about my day,eating and drinking when I needed to, but it had become an engraved routine that the movements automatically came without thinking, just like a machine- I was alive, but I wasn't present. I was trapped with my mind elsewhere.

I put one foot in front of the other until I reached the edge of the sidewalk and stepped onto the bus. I could already tell this wasn't going to be a good day.

First the rain that constantly reminded me of tears and now the usually semi-filled bus was over-crowded with people squashed up against each other.

From the corner of my eye, I could spot a few students from school, already scrutinizing me as I dropped my bus fare in the allocated slot. I ignored them as I usually did and pulled my earbuds out of my jacket, gently placing them in my ear before blasting the mellow sound of the orchestra I had downloaded the night prior.

It calmed me as I inhaled and exhaled slowly, letting my lungs fill as I eased the strain of my previously short and quickened breaths. My fingers grazed the bar across from the windows before wrapping around it.

I took one last look at the rain that came down quicker than before. It hit the windows at an angle, shielding everyone from the view outside, not that it was a pretty sight to some, but to me it was.

As a child, I'd spend most of my rainy days outside, jumping and splashing in the puddles. The girl next door, with her achromatic rain boots I remembered well would always join me. She was the only one I ever considered a friend. Then one day she moved and I never heard from her again.

By the time I got to school, the stress I had desperately tried to rid myself of, had racked my body all over again.

I shook my coat to free majority of the water it dripped in, accidentally wetting a few people. Some ignoring it and others mumbling some incoherent words under their breath.

"I'm so sorry," I said as I looked up, wiping the water from my hand onto my uniform shirt.

And that's when I saw him.