Chapter Three: Guts

After every suggestion that had been given or considered we found ourselves in the basement of the department store staring down at a ladder that would lead us to the sewers. Jacqui had been the one to suggest it, informing us that old buildings sometimes for whatever reason would have tunnels leading to the sewers.

"You think it's a way out?" Morales asked.
"Only one way to find out," Officer Friendly said sighing.
"And what if it's not?" Glenn suggested," What if we get stuck down there with a hoard blocking the way."

"We'll have to send someone to scout ahead, so we know if it's safe or not," Friendly said frowning at the idea.

It was silent for a moment no one saying a word. I would of gone, motivation for getting out of here alive should of sent me down that ladder with no hesitation. Except for the fact that I'm claustrophobic.... severely claustrophobic, and climbing down into the sewers not knowing if I could ever get out of not surrounded by concrete and pipes wasn't a way I wanted to spend my final moments.

"I'll go," Glenn informed the group," But I'll only take one of you to check. I don't want to get into each other and have the way blocked out by all of you."
"I'll go with you," Andrea said quickly after.
"No-"
"What don't think I can't?" Andrea asked quickly not even giving Glenn a chance to reply. I sighed annoyed causing Andrea's stare to fall to me.

"Speak your mind," Officer Friendly told Glenn giving him a reassuring smile.

"No I'm not saying that, you and Daniel have the only other guns, and you-" he said nodding towards Officer friendly," I've seen you shoot so I'd feel good with you having Merle's rifle, that way if the doors break down we have some people giving us time to actually get out of here.... Jacqui I need you to stay here so if we get stuck, or something goes wrong you'll be here to help.... so I'll take Morales."

"Sounds like a plan everybody knows there jobs."
I nodded at Glenn before turning around and making my way back towards the department stores shopping center.

I was silent besides the moans of the walkers in a desperate attempt to try and break through and eat our guts out. My nerves started to take over as the glass began to break. All of those walkers out there where staring at me there gray veiny eyes not blinking. Fear flooded through me and at that moment I felt utterly hopelessly. After awhile of staring at the corpses I decided to start to resume scavenging. I grabbed some jackets, new t shirts, and a lot of boxers for all the men.

As I was stuffing them into the duffle bags I heard footsteps come up behind me.

"I wanted to thank you, for helping me get out of that situation. If it weren't for you I'd be dead," Officer Friendly said from behind me. 

"No problem officer friendly, some of us still have to be human beings you know?" I continued to pack the bags as I heard he Man chuckle slightly behind me.

"The names Rick, how bought you?"
"Daniel."
"Well Daniel, I want you to know that I'm very grateful for what you did for me. Because of you I have a chance to find my family."
"I just led you into another death trap," I said shaking my head," I saved you just so you could die at a later time. I mean honestly do you see a way out of this?"

I heard Rick sigh from behind me before he walked around me and kneeled down infront of me.
"It's ok to be afraid. Honestly id be worried if you weren't."
I shrugged helplessly not able to open my mouth all the words being caught in my throat.
Rick patted my back before walking away. I watched him walk over to Andrea and began to talk to her.

I glared at my shaking hands wishing I could be brave. Wishing I could seem as calm and collected as Rick was at this moment. Hell I just met the guy and I knew even though he had gotten us into this
Mess he was going to do everything in his power to get us out. It didn't matter if one of us pointed a gun to his face, or another had punched him in the face. Officer Friendly was real friendly.