Six - Marius

Hey everyone! So, I decided I might do a few on Marius as well, seeing as Les Misèrables is such a great musical. I'm a musical nerd. Anyways, please do enjoy this chapter!

"Cosette!" Madame Thénardier shouts, her voice echoing throughout the wooden inn. You sat next to Cosette and Éponine telling them both of stories about many different fairy tales. They both awe'd and ooh'd together in unison, as the expression of happiness and glee washed over their young faces.

"And so, the Princess had been swept off of her feet by the Prince as he awoke her up with True Love's Kiss." You spoke gently as you tucked a strand of Cosette's silky blonde hair, smiling sweetly to the both as you ended the story. "Once again, another story had ended as Happily Ever After."

"COSETTE!" Madame Thénardier exclaimed as her boots clunked against the wooden surface heavily. Éponine and Cosette had gripped both of your hands, you were the eldest out of all and it was your duty to be the best sister you could be. Madame Thénardier dropped a dusty box of many, decorated glasses.

"Be a dear and polish these up, before I forget to be nice." She spat with poise as she glanced towards you and Éponine, giving a dirty smile.

"Me and Éponine will help, won't we 'Ponine?" You gave a small nudge to Éponines arm, giggling erupting from her as she nodded.

The memory that played from your head dazed you, ever since Cosette had been bargained away, you and 'Ponine had grown distant from each other. It was the June Rebellion and the two of you had your eyes set on Marius, but as the elder sister you had denied your feelings towards him. Éponine swooned and sung her feelings out aloud as the two of you bandaged and took care of the sick. 

"(Name), I didn't tell you this sooner. But, Cosette was here," Éponine explained as she sat beside a wounded Student.

"Where is she now?" You questioned, shocked and dazed more then ever. Éponine would always keep secrets from you, but this was different.

"She is heading off with her father, sailing to England soon. Yet, Marius and her are in love. Instantly as they saw each other," Éponine spoke, her voice shattering along with her heart.

"Oh, Éponine... Autres temps, autres mœurs," You told her, it had simply meant 'Times Change' in English.

"They had left last night, I'm planning to fight beside Marius." Éponine protested. She had always been a strong-hearted one, that's what you always adored.

"Don't do this, Éponine. Please." You pleaded as tears fell down her and your cheeks. You reached out for her hand, squeezing it tightly as you comforted 'Ponine. A knock had then came from the shattered door that still stood weakly.

"They're here, take cover." Enjolras emerged from the door, nodding towards you and 'Ponine to protect the sick.

"I'm going to get ready," 'Ponine had mumbled as she stood up, letting go of your hand and heading upstairs without a word.

As time slowly passed, you could hear the singing of the Students along with Marius' voice. His voice was practically music to your ears and it brought happiness to your heart which fluttered with joy. You heard the first attack which blew with battering sounds of gunshots and the cocking and reloading of the violent guns. Dawn had slowly approached and you made your way outside carefully, the boys still at it. Marius climbed the furniture barricade frantically, a soldier pointing his gun towards the ferocious young man.

"No!" You heard the shout of Éponine as she grabbed the gun from the soldier, pointing it towards her.

Just like that, with a click of the gun, the bullet had made its way through Éponine. Time slowed down as she fell cautiously to the ground, gripping her stomach while wincing in pain.

"'Ponine!" You shouted as your cries went unheard, the students negotiating with the soldiers about blowing the barricade to kill them and the soldiers that rebelled against us. You fell to the ground, tears of sadness spilled from your eyes as you gasped for air. You felt your heart sink and shatter just like that, just by the sound of a single gunshot. You clasped your hands around your mouth as you began to grieve the death of your sister, glancing towards the crying Gavroche. You watched as Marius held Éponine tight, her eyes slowly closing as he planted a soft, rain-wet kiss upon her forehead. You watched as one of Enjolras' men carried her and took her back.

You'd lost both of your sisters. And it shattered your pride.

"Marius!" You cried as you leapt up, racing towards him.

"(Name), god you're still alive. I'm sorry I couldn't protect her," Marius explained as he rested his hand upon your cheek as it lit a bright red.

"She loved you, Marius! With all her heart!" You protested as more tears streamed down your cheeks and onto his warming hand that you yearned to touch. Marius wrapped his arms around your waist, bringing you closer.

"I-I'm so sorry, but-"

"We all loved you, we all adored you" You cut him off as you mumbled under your breath, Marius resting his hand on the back of your head and bringing it close to his sweating chest. It made your heart jump with excitement, like a child waiting for their birthday to come by. Your stomach tied into knots while the butterflies began to form into snakes that slithered around.

"We?" He questioned as he looked down upon you, trying his best to lock eyes. You didn't bother to look up towards him, it pained you so much to be in this place. You'd most certainly switch spots with Éponine, but deep down in your heart you didn't. Hell, it was a selfish act.

"Me, Éponine... a-and Cosette," It became hard to pronunciate the two names of the two sisters that you loved the most. Even if Cosette wasn't connected to you by blood, you had adored Fantine and her beautiful daughter. After Fantine had died shortly after, you made a vow to protect Cosette, yet your place had been taken from a man by Jean ValJean.

"You knew Cosette?" Marius exclaimed, you could tell he was trying to keep his expectations low yet his eyes had a hint of glee and happiness.

"I grew up with her, Marius. I vowed to protect her, but I don't know if she still remembers me," You explain to him as you then lifted your head to meet his eyes.

"(Name), promise me one thing," He softly whispered as he kneeled down onto one knee, it felt like he was proposing to you but you knew that was false, Éponine told you the way he looked at Cosette.

"What is it?" You breathed out as you fumbled with your damaged, tattered dress.

"Stay safe for me, please," He continued before gently tucking a strand of your hair behind your ear. All you could muster with a reply was a nod, as the the waterworks began and started pouring out of your eyes. Your chest ached with pain and it was embarrassing to cry in front of Marius, the feeling of sadness had washed over your entire soul and physical appearance. You looked up to Marius as his eyes were filled with grief.

"I love you," Marius whispered as his hand gently touched your cheek that were stained with salty tears, he wrapped his arms around you and sewed his hands into yours, your heart leaping.

"I love you too," You mumbled before Marius had planted a generous kiss above your brow, untying his hands from yours and setting off to go get some shut-eye. You lingered and yearned for his touch as you stood there in the rain.

A Little Fall of Rain, can hardly hurt you now.

" Don't you fret, M'sieur Marius
I don't feel any pain
A little fall of rain
Can hardly hurt me now
You're here, that's all I need to know
And you will keep me safe
And you will keep me close
And rain will make the flowers grow. "