Spilled Secret

I really couldn't complain. I had wanted him to stop talking to me like I was crap, and he did. In fact, he just stopped talking to me, period.

The past two weeks seemeed to fly by. Alex and I hung out even more, and sometimes I'd go over to his place. But whenever Nick was there or when he was at the top of the mountain each morning or in history class, he barely acknowledged me. 

He wasn't in class sometimes. It didn't really surprise me that he would skip, but it just added to my confusion.

But I often found myself staring at him, at his eyes. At least on the days I did see him. Since the time I saw a hint of something deep in them, they had confused me. And what surprised me even more was the fact that they seemed to have no depth when I turned to look at them again.

I started to wonder if I had imagined that something real that seemed to happen two weeks ago, or if he was just guarded again. Maybe I could tell because I put up some walls of my own.

I didn't know why my mind drifted off to Nick sometimes. I should be relieved that he hadn't talked to me, but I was scared. Especially after he found out about my pills. A small part of me was frightened that he would say something, but in all truth, I was mostly relieved he seemed not to care.

It was stupid, I knew. No one could possibly know they were for anxiety. But the type of pills I took were for only a few things, depression and anxiety being the main two. So it wouldn't be that hard to put two and two together. I just wanted to bury everything that could relate to my past so no one could know, but when people started digging stuff out, the rumors started. That was one thing I had hoped to escape. After all, rumors could ruin your life. I knew that better than anyone.

"Why'd you invite her?"

I sighed. "Come on, Cami. She's my friend." Alex had told me he wanted to see Sophie, but apparently, he didn't want to seem too obvious. I thought he didn't try to ask her out because he knew she would say no. She wasn't big on dating airhead jocks. Of course, Alex was far from one of those, but Sophie didn't really know him, yet.

Everything about her was fiery and unique. Her style, the way she wore her hair, her personality. Which was why it was no surprise some boys felt intimidated by her, aside from the obvious attraction. Even Alex. The thought made me laugh in delight.

"No, I know that." Cami said while applying an ungodly amount of lip gloss to her already plump lips. She turned to me. "But, I don't know, she's kind of mean. Does this color look good on me?" She pouted and stuck her lips out at me.

"It looks fine, but you may want to ease up on the gloss, Cami." She shrugged and reapplied the gloss again. "You know, it's only a boxing match. Probably no one will see you, so do you really want to wear all that makeup for tonight?"

"Is this about me using your makeup bag? I'll bring mine next time, alright?" She set the lip gloss down and studied my face for a second with a pensive expression. "You know, you could use some eyeliner and contour yourself. It'd go a long way to you know, help with the outline of your nose."

I unkowingly turned to see myself in the mirror and felt my heart sink a little in my chest. I stared at my almost makeup free face, finding new, little flaws every second longer that I looked. Aside from a little blush and mascara from earlier today, I was practically wearing nothing.

I stood up and smiled, trying to shrug her comment off. "Well, Sophie's going to be here soon. I'll go wait for her outside."

"Whatever." She said, dismissing me casually. I stood there for a second with a frown before turning on my heel and walking away. "Hey, Sam?"