28

For a bunch of injured guys, Parker and Jeno moved pretty fast. But because both of them didn't care to show how much pain they were in, they made the trek to the Rinzen infirmary in silence.

Men.

Jeno clenched his jaw, but he swallowed his agony like a champ. He was almost confident that he could make it through the greenery without passing out when Parker opened his big fat mouth.

"Were you and Miren seriously a thing?" Jeno blinked at the boy with a slightly swollen cheek, the curiously furious look on his face mostly masked by his bruising. "When the hell did that happen?"

"Fuck you," Jeno literally spat, wiping the blood off his lips. "If you and your girlfriend weren't such colossal assholes, none of this would have happened."

"I know." Parker's head fell, but mostly   because it felt heavy; everything felt heavy. "I'm always fucking shit up."

"No shit."

"I don't know what to do, Jeno," Parker said, closing his aching eyes as they reached campus as a record snail's pace. "I don't know how to make everything better."

"You're acting like there ever was a better time," Jeno scolded him as they stepped inside the main office. On his side, he could see Edsel and Penelope and Olive discussing something heatedly through the glass of of the headmaster's office. Olive's eyes hit Jeno's for no more than a second, but in that time he knew she was pissed.

"High school sucks no matter what you do," Jeno pressed on. "And you did yourself no favors by being such a spineless punk. So if it really helps you sleep better at night, I never had sex with Miren. I barely even knew her." As they reached the infirmary, he took a first aid kit, stepping out as immediately as he stepped in. "Try not to die."

Then he was off to try not to die.

"Did you like her?" He heard Parker say as he was halfway down the hallway. He turned over his shoulder (even though it hurt like hell), his eyes narrowing in contempt. Or pain. He was in a lot of pain. And he was wasting time.

"No," he said plainly, resuming his pace.

He loved her.

***

By the time Jeno secured a Band-Aid on his forehead, he was already exhausted from the pilgrimage to his dorm. He didn't think he could feel anymore tired until Miren entered the room, panting heavily.

"I went...to the...Rosemunde infirmary. Then I went to Rinzen's...then Parker said you were probably in the dorm." She took a deep breath, placing her hands on her thighs for stability. When she still felt like death, she threw off her tie and blazer. She sucked in a breath of relief before glaring at him. "Why the hell did you do that?"

His mouth parted to respond, but no words came out. Instead, he just reopened the first-aid kit and pulled out an IcyHot pad. He proceeded to take off his blazer, his button up, exposing his bruised torso. Wincing, he tried to readjust the pad when Miren intervened, pressing it along his lower abdomen.

She proceeded to clean the wound on his chin with an alcohol prep pad when he latched onto her arm.

"I don't need your help." He shifted to his feet, placing the kit on his desk table.

"You're wounded," she fought, taking the container. "You should go back to the infirmary. Parker said he was sorry."

"I don't need his apology either."

"What's gotten into you?"

Jeno just exhaled, his gaze settling on the window. "I kissed Olive the other day."