Chapter 67: New York

Team: Rogue, Nat, Hulk, Spider-Man

Banner had already transformed into the Hulk when Rogue and Nat got there. Their Winter Soldier was huge, much bigger than they had expected. Thousands of New Yorkers were fleeing for their lives, desperate not to be caught in another of the Avenger's messes.

The Hulk was taking out the Soldiers with ease, not even needing to use half his strength to either end their lives, or send them scurrying away, so they'd never have to tell Kilgrave that they failed his mission.

***

Rogue and Nat worked on the remaining soldiers, Nat using her expert hand-to-hand combat and Rogue using her electricity to blindside them. They hadn't fought on the same side since Sokovia, so it felt good to fight with each other rather than against each other.

"I've missed this," Nat said.

"What? Fighting mind-controlled assassins?" Rogue questioned.

"Being on a real team."

"Yeah, the threat of imminent death really excites me!"

They both burst out laughing, Rogue throwing her electricity at another of the Soldiers who was coming towards them. She wondered if anyone else was having as much fun fighting the Soldiers as they were. It felt like this is where she was meant to be, this was her life's purpose.

***

Spider-Man swung from building to building, revelling in the fact that he was going to be the first one to take on the Winter Soldier. When he was near enough, he used his webs to entangle the Winter Soldier, disorientating him. Wrapping the webs tightly around his legs, the Soldier was stuck in the same spot. Rogue, Nat and the Hulk appeared, standing around him.

"Where's Kilgrave?" Rogue asked him.

"I can't tell you," he said, his eyes flashing with anger.

"Of course he can't tell us, he's being controlled, remember?" Nat said. Rogue rolled her eyes.

"Well, I hope your life is more important than Kilgrave's command! Because if you don't tell me where he is, I'm going to kill you."

"He said I can't tell you," the Winter Soldier said again.

"This is your life!" Rogue said. "Break free of his control! We'll let you go, and you can start your life over a million times as a free man. You'd never have to be controlled again."

"You'll let me go?" he asked.

"I promise," Rogue said. "Tell me where he's hiding and we'll let you go; you'll never see any of us again."

"I can't! Everything in my body tells me that I can't tell you where he is," he said. Rogue knew the feeling all too well, but that didn't mean she was giving up.

"You're been away from him for hours, his control is weaker. You just have to push yourself!"

His face showed signs of an internal struggle. But finally, he pushed out the words that he'd been holding in. "He's in New York."

"He's here?" Nat asked.

"Where in New York?" Rogue asked.

"A-Avengers Tower."

"He's been here this whole time?" Rogue said angrily.

"Can I go now?" he asked.

"Are you going back to Kilgrave?" Rogue countered.

"I never want to see that man again in my life. There's no way I'd ever go back to him."

Rogue looked at Spider-Man. "Get him out of that, please."