‡ Chapter 8 ‡

*Jessie has dirty blonde hair.  Thought I’d clarify that.*

Anyone watched the Disney Movie ‘Frozen’? I did! Olaf = my dream bestie

Fun Fact: I’ve been listening to ‘Let it Go’ (Demi Lovato Version—because that V. Is better) from that movie for over 8 hours straight.  Next chapter is totally based off of that song... I love it. 

Apparently it played on the American radio once.  What has our world come to?

†††††††

I wrenched him off.  My voice was glacial as frostbite.  “Drank what?

Crash!  A Chinese woman with coarse white hair yelped, the window beside her shattering.  My gaze snapped towards the sparking bomb that rolled towards my feet.  An immediate trigger snapped in my mind and I threw myself at the doors.  I broke them open with my weight as I slammed onto the cement. 

I skid forward; pain clawed across my stomach.  The explosion erupted, my hands flying above my head.  Human screams went off and burnt metal clattered to the floor.  Groaning, I shifted my head, eyes wheeling to the chaos.  Madness infected the area; people running and sirens wailing.  I rolled over and saw Levi and Casper doing the same. 

The bus door dropped an inch from my neck and I flinched, death too close for comfort.  Someone hauled my arm.  I gradually tried turning, but they snatched my elbow.  They yanked me forward, and I stumbled, my legs tripping over themselves.  Their sturdy hand helped me to my proper stance, and I glanced up.  Levi shouted something except I couldn’t hear.  I was good at that.  He yanked my arm again, ushering us to move.  Casper was already ahead, quickly waving his hands.

I shook my head, and blinked to see the whole picture.  The bus was split in half, the stench of burning metal infecting the air.  Flames danced on the vehicle, the hot colours igniting the black sky.  A meadow of broken glass enclosed around the vehicle.  A limp arm hung out one window, a silver wedding ring sparkling from their hand.  My lips trembled, the colour drained from my face. 

“They know we’re here.  We must leave,” Levi said, tugging my hand. 

I chocked on my own breath, staring at the unmoving arm.  Death had decided to come for its own kill.    He tugged again.  “Now, Jessie.”  With me in tow, Casper led the sprint, dodging the gawking people who were stupid enough to go near the burning bus, their bright phones lighting up the night. 

I burdened the sudden mourning I had for the strange.  “Who are ‘they’?” I asked, trying to keep up with the two men.  My shoulders kept colliding with strangers, battling against the human current.

No one answered until we reached the Temple Street Market.  Neon lights bathed the streets, illuminating bright hues off of buildings and signs.  Strips had booths take up the roads, merchandisers shouting foreign words as they searched for buyers.  Beautiful lanterns dangled above us, a long train of them consuming the skies of the market.  Body contact was constant, the musty sweat clinging to my clothes.  Casper slowed his pace and soon we were walking, the burnt bus not in sight.  I restored the proper amount of oxygen for my lungs after a couple breathes. 

Levi liberated my hand as we continued to walk, getting deeper into the chaotic market.  “’They’, my darling, are the kills.  Some are stupid enough to know we’re hunting them down and will try to stop us.” 

“And when you mean by ‘stop’, you really mean try to kill us, right?”  I said sceptically. 

He took a cautious look.  “Yes.  That’s why it’s our job to kill them first.”  He peeked over his shoulder and pressed his palm flat on my neck.  We kept moving, taking a sharp turn into an alleyway.