Beyond

Please leave feedback on this chapter! I'm not sure if I should continue writing long chapters like this one!

Today was the day we were going to execute our plan. Climb through the skylight and run to a nearby town for help. It was risky but it would be worth it if we actually get out. I was nervous all day. I couldn't calm myself down. This was just proof on how scared I am. At some points I would just get so frustrated with myself and just have to pace around the room until Joshua has to ask me if I'm okay. Obviously I lied every time and just said I was okay. Night soon settled in. It was only an hour until it's midnight. When it's in the middle of the night we are going to get out of here.

"We are still doing it right?" Joshua asks sitting next to me.

"Yeah."

We went over our plan verbally about what we are going to do. We are planning to move stuff around so we can reach the skylight. Then we will climb out of there onto the roof. We don't really know what we are going to do after that but I'm sure our instincts will kick in.

I haven't realized that I started to shake while I was in deep thought.
"Casey? Casey are you alright? You're shaking," Joshua's muffled voice is heard as I snap out of my thinking. As if all of reality had just came back to me.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I lie again.
"Well we should start moving things," he says standing up and walking over to the dresser. I walk over trying not to make a sound while walking. We lift up the heavy wooden dresser and place it under need the skylight. I place a chair on top of the dresser so we can reach the covering.

"We should go now. Before he comes back," Joshua says stepping on the pile of things.
"I'll go up first. Then I'll help you up," He says climbing on top of the chair. His hands reach for the covering. He manages to push it open and slide it onto the side. My heart starts to race as this is actually going to work. He jumps out and makes it onto the roof. He motions me to start coming up. I carefully climb on top of the dresser. Hearing I creek as I put my weight on it. The chair wobbles as I stand on it. Joshua puts his hand out and helps me up. The wind blows against me as the moon gives very little light.

But just as things started to go good the door from inside the room opens. I can see the shadow of someone standing there in the doorway looking at what we have done.
"We have to get out of here," I whisper to Joshua but he just doesn't listen.
"Joshua, we have to go!" I say again looking at him. He's fixated onto the shadow that moves closer.

"I just want to see who it is," he whispers back.
Soon the figure comes into view. Revealing that it's Dennis. He looks right at us and instantly I can tell that he's beyond angry.
"We are going now," I say taking Joshua's arm and running across the roof.

"We need a way down!" I say as we run over the roof.

"I don't see anything," Joshua says frantically. Both of us have gone into panic mode. We don't think straight nor have any ideas. As Dennis chases us on the surprisingly large roof Joshua and I get separated. I guess we both had different ideas on what to do. Dennis goes after him. I go down the slope of the roof and crouch there closer to the edge so he won't be able to see me. The sight below me was just horrific. I was so high up. If I were to slip and a fall that would be the end of me. I would die.

Soon the footsteps stop and everything's all quiet. I decide to stand up to see where Joshua and Dennis have gone. Dennis got a hold of Joshua's arm and now Dennis is taking Joshua back down to the room we had just escaped from.