Chapter 11: Unexpected Tears

"Did I say something wrong?"

Namjoon peered down at Mi-Rae as they walked side by side down the street. They had just left from the local pojangmacha tent and were now enjoying a pajeon, or deep fried pancake. "What do you mean?"

"Jin seemed to be, well, upset with you

"Jin seemed to be, well, upset with you. Is it because of me?" 

He finished chewing and tried to put on his most reassuring smile. "Oh no it has nothing to do with you, trust me..." Whatever kind of anger Jin was feeling, Namjoon was at fault for it. And he was troubled, not knowing how to handle the situation. But for now, he wanted answers. "So what were you doing in a matchmaking system?"

Mi-Rae bit into her pajeon and didn't speak until she had swallowed. "I had been waiting for so long in the hopes of crossing paths with you again. But it never happened. My parents were pushing for me to find someone to marry. Honestly, I had given up on ever finding you again... But then my matchmaker showed me your photo and I knew almost immediately that it was you. I didn't want to wait. I had to see you..."

Namjoon stared down at his food. It had been the same for him.  So this whole time. She had been waiting for him. "I did try looking for you...but in this era, it's not as easy to cross across the country at such a young age"

"It's alright Namjoon. I understand. The land has really changed, hasn't it? But you..you haven't changed at all" Mi-Rae smiled up at Namjoon and he blushed slightly. 

He was even more caught off guard when he felt his arm suddenly being grabbed. "Hey Namjoon, let's check out the museum over there. There is something I want to show you!"

The English teacher had no time to respond as he was pulled towards the huge building

The English teacher had no time to respond as he was pulled towards the huge building. As they ran across the street, Mi-Rae's hair whipped violently behind her. He could smell the scent of strawberries and found himself smiling a little.

--------

As they ventured through the gallery, the young female finally stopped in front of a particular painting. Anyone could tell right away that it was of Chinese origin due to its ink brushed lines and ethereal  visuals but what caught Namjoon's attention almost immediately was the subject of the artwork.