Chapter Five

Carter's Point of View

My eyes snapped open, my heart beating rapidly as I sat up. I realized where I was and the fear ran straight back into my shivering body.

There was a dusty lantern sitting beside me, lighting up only a small portion of the long tunnel. I didn't feel safe sitting here alone. I slowly stood up and grabbed the lantern. I trudged towards the bright light, wondering if I was going to heaven or if it was just broad daylight. I wasn't sure which one I wanted it to be-Heaven please.

As I was getting closer and closer to the light, I started hearing these unfamiliar noises. I stopped, a few inches away from the entrance of the tunnel. I looked behind me before I took a few more steps forward. I set the lantern down and just as I was about to make a mad dash, a voice spoke from behind me.

"Thought I made it clear."

I turned around, gasping at the sight of him standing before me. there he was, blood stains were trailing from the corner of his mouth and there were three deep looking gashes across his chest, but they weren't bleeding at all.

"W-What do you mean?"

"Don't mess with me. I can easily show you what the darkness can do to a human," He warned, turning and facing the tunnel. I watched as he stepped inside and walked further, disappearing into the darkness. Once again, I was left alone out in the light. I cringed as I heard a low growl come from behind me. I turned around and saw nothing.

I unexpectedly chose to pick up the lantern and run after the boy who had vanished in the tunnel. Once I had spotted him, I spoke up. "What are you doing so deep in the tunnel?"

"Exploring. Never really saw what the end looked like." He told me, not taking a simple glance over his shoulder. He didn't even sound surprised that I hadn't chose to run off.

"How come? You've been in here for quite a while, I am guessing."

"I'm not the only one who lives in here, ya know. Although they'd prefer to eat my organs than allow me to survive in their home." He chuckled. Why did he find that funny?

"So we are trespassing property that belongs to something non-human?" My body froze as I watched him continue on walking.

"I never said it was non-human." This time he stopped and turned around.

"So. . . It's human?"

He brought out another one of his infamous smirks. "Never said it was human either." With that, he turned back around and started to walk away.

"I'm gonna run!" I warned him, wondering if he would actually stop me.

"You can't." He said.

"Why not?"

"The darkness. It seems to like you too."

• • •

It felt like hours had passed by and we were still walking through the tunnel. Things were starting to look gruesome. There were worn out graffiti and red splatters all over the wall.

"He didn't last long," The boy-who I have yet to learn his name-laughed, looking over to his right. I followed his gaze, wishing I hadn't. I backed away, nearly letting out a scream until a hand was slapped over my mouth. "I told you, they don't like screamers."

I furiously nodded and he slowly pulled his hand away from my mouth. He quietly started to lead the way once again. As for my eyes, which they kept trailing back over at the graffiti, avoiding the dead body that had spiders crawling all around it. The terrible stench had my eyes watering. I stayed quiet until I got a vibe that something was going to happen.

"I see eyes," I whispered to the boy. He caught the sight and stopped, watching the eyes disperse into many more all around. "That's not good." Shaking my head, I realized I had no choice but to stay. If I were to run back, I would have to pass the dead body, the notorious growls and the faint howling of wolves hanging above the tunnel, all by myself.

"Duck," He quietly whispered back.

"What?"

"I said duck!" He hissed, pushing me to the floor. All of the sudden I heard obsessive screeching and the boy had practically fell on top of me. With my hair slightly blocking my sight, I was able to see what was happening. There were bats flying above us. I clenched my eyes shut as we sat in the same position. "C'mon," He instructed, pulling my threw the mass of crazy bats.

I felt a bat smack against the back of my head and my instinct was to run. I ran until I suddenly hit something hard. I pinched my nose-which had gotten hurt from the painful smack, might I add-and raised the lantern. All I saw in front of me was a wall.

"It's a wall?" I said, full of confusion and hoping to forget the fact that a bat had just hit me in the head.

"That's a shame. Was really looking forward to this never ending journey," I felt the presence of the boy behind me. His words were full of sarcasm as he dramatically let out a sigh. I turned around and glared at him, only causing him to glare back.

"What are we going to do now?" I asked.

"We sit here and wait for our death."

My eyes widened at the calmness in his voice. "What's your name?" I was curious to ask this time.

"Harry," He smirked.

"You're fine with dying in a tunnel, Harry? Because I'm not."

"You aren't me, sweetheart. Don't go thinking I find this place to be full of gumdrops and lollipops." He took a long step towards me, getting close to my face once again.

"I never said I was thinking that," I told him. "I just want to get out of here."

"So do I. But we are too deep in and the devil just might be involved this time. So play it nice, baby." He leaned closer and chuckled deviously, before he added on. "And welcome him home."

___________________________________

Authors Note:

I apologize for the boringness and the dumbness if there is so, haha. :)

By the way, my Instagram is, @/_makayla_xx if you wanna follow, hehe no pressure, homie.

I hope you have a fun weekend ! :D

Oh, and I listened to, Seven Devils by Florence + The Machine to help me write the chapter.