18. Buckle Me In

18.

            “Thank you so much for everything you’ve done,” I tell Maureen sincerely.

            “No problem dear, you two are wonderful,” she chuckles, hugging me.

            Engulphed in her arms, I close my eyes. It felt nice to be hugged by someone. It reminded me of my parents.

            Glancing over to where John and Coda are, Coda catches my eye, sending a cheeky wink.

            “He seems like a good man. Hold onto him,” Maureen tells me, holding my hand tightly in hers.

            I smile, trying not to frown at how horrible I felt for fooling her.

            “Thanks, Maureen, I will,” I say. “And we’ll come visit too.”

            With one last kiss on the cheek, Maureen leaves me to go approach john and Coda.

            Leaning against the tire swing on the tree, I watch with a small smile as Coda talks with the couple.

            Coda never told me about his parents except that they weren’t really in the picture so to see Coda so happy with John and Maureen…it made me feel happier.

            Looking away, I study the small lake over to the right where we had spent our day yesterday.

            Too lost in my thinking, I don’t even notice Coda until his arm is around my waist.

            “Are you sure we can’t drive you there?” Maureen asks for the umpteenth time.

            Coda chuckles. “Of course. We don’t want to impose. Plus, I think Hazel and I will enjoy the scenery.”

            Smiling back in response, I give the last goodbyes before Coda and I are taking off down the dirt road.

            “The towns only about a mile or two away,” Coda brings up after walking in silence for a few moments.

            “That’s so far to walk,” I whine in exaggeration.

            Coda scoffs walking ahead of me.

            Frowning, I consider calling him a butthole when a sudden idea strikes me.

            I wait for him to get a few steps further before I take off sprinting to leap in the air and latch onto his back.

            “What the heck!” Coda say in bewilderment, stumbling.

            His hands immediately go to rest on my lower back to keep me upright as I place my arms around him.

            “Piggy-back ride,” I say simply.

            “Get off Reed,” Coda says in irritation.

            “No,” I retort back stubbornly.

            “I will drop you,” he threatens me.

            I laugh. “No you won’t.”
            The funny thing is, he never drops me much to my surprise. He carries me all the way to the car repair shop.