thirty-two (interlude): both of the dead and of the living

Mary Carrick paused, holding the lint brush above the suit jacket. She had a memory of doing the exact same thing on the exact same jacket many years ago. The morning of their wedding, in fact. 

"You done yet?" Garth stepped out of the bathroom, straightening his tie.

"Almost," she nodded, quickly brushing again. 

He pulled on his dress shoes and carefully tied each one. "The kids ready?"

"Mmm," Mary peered at a button. It looked a little loose. Grabbing a needle from the kit, she quickly threaded it. "Lou has them; they left in the van maybe 15 minutes ago." 

"Don't need details," Garth sighed. "Bring it when you're done; gotta make some calls."

She paused again after he stepped down the hall, his heavy pace echoing on the wood floors. Mary glanced up at the big family portrait on the wall. It had been painted from a photograph taken five years back - the last time they'd all been together. 

Mary and Garth had been posed on chairs in the center with the newest baby in Mary's lap. Garth's three sons from his first marriage at the back, Alicia in front of Lonnie. The three youngest sitting cross-legged in a line along the bottom. Mary could just see Lonnie's fingers on Alicia's shoulder.

Now the baby was in kindergarten. Alicia was married to an outsider. And Lonnie? 

Lonnie was dead. 

She pressed her hand over her heart and tried to hold back the ache. 

Mary remembered the early days, when Garth had stopped into the church office each night and made sure she was all right. On rainy nights, he'd driven her and Alicia home in his big black sedan. Back then, when he preached? She'd known it was the Lord speaking right through Garth to her own soul. 

She remembered the morning Garth had called her into his office. She'd stepped in and Lonnie had dropped to his knees before her. He'd said he'd been given a prophesy that Alicia would grow up to be his wife and the mother of the next generation. 

"But she's only 10 years old," she'd answered.

"I'll wait. Seven years, just as Jacob did." Outside the window, the sun had broken through the clouds in that very moment and she'd known he was speaking the truth. 

It all made sense, finally. She'd been led to marry the adulterer for the sake of having Alicia - the mother of the next generation. And for the money that had raised the church to a new building and a new future. With another fortune waiting when Lonnie married Alicia. Money from all those nasty movies filled with sin would be used to keep the mission going. 

There had been a purpose and a plan. 

Her heart had lifted in that knowledge. Everything had seemed blessed. 

On their wedding night, Garth had held her in his arms and stared right into her eyes. "I knew the moment I laid eyes on you that you were my future. As my wife had died, I hung on to the consolation that the Lord had already provided you."

She'd never questioned any of it. 

But now, all she had was questions. 

She'd been faithful. She'd believed. Why had it all gone wrong? How could they lose Lonnie? How could Alicia be gone from them so far? The taste of ash stuck at the back of her throat.

"The car is here!" Garth shouted. 

Mary took the jacket off the coat and folded it over her arm. She grabbed up her purse and Bible and headed out the door. 

The church was standing room only when they arrived. The attendance record set the previous Christmas was clearly broken. 

Lou and her eldest daughter had all the children lined up. Each little one had a big one holding their hand.  Their production minister conferred with Garth and Jimmy as assistants made sure the portable microphones were on and live. The congregation finished singing Amazing Grace as they all filed onto the sanctuary stage. 

Mary glanced at Garth but his attention was already on the service. He approached the lectern and put down his Bible. "Today is a sad day, a hard day. How does a father bury a son? I know that Alonzo has gone ahead to our Lord but even as King David cried out - 'Now he is dead. Why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he will not return to me.' So is my heart heavy knowing I will never see my child again in this world. Today, we gather to celebrate Lonnie's life but we also mourn - for one of our brightest has been called home ahead of us."

The stairs had been rolled to the front of the stage so they could all exit into the congregation. The casket placed in the center aisle, shiny and still. As the service ended, Garth, Jimmy, Garth's eldest two sons and the rest of the men stepped down and shouldered the casket.  Reverently, they carried it down the center aisle out to the waiting hearse. 

The congregation of thousands stood and began to sing;

Going home, I'm going home
There is nothing to hold me here
I've caught a glimpse of that Heavenly land
praise God, I'm going home.

Lou held Mary's hand. As they stepped out of the building, the lights of the waiting press cameras clicked on, brightening the overcast day. 

Without making any comment to the barrage of questions, she climbed into the waiting limo next to Garth and someone closed the door. 

He didn't acknowledge her. 

"Garth," Mary said softly. "Are you..."

"I don't need your words," he stopped her. "Just know this. If your whore daughter ever steps foot in my presence again? I'll stone her myself."

Mary slapped her chest in surprise. She started to argue but his frozen expression stopped her. Exhaling slowly, she turned her eyes forward and stayed silent for the rest of the drive. 

*****************************************
The last epilogue will be set in Greece ;-)

Thank you all so much for the votes, comments and follows and adds!! It's so overwhelming and amazing!!!! xoxo  /bella