29; civilization

BOLD WORDS

❝ BOLD WORDS ❞

Her line of vision followed along the canopy of pine trees, the mellow blue overhead and the squawking birds. She'd rolled the window down an inch just to feel the sliver of wind push her hair back, to breath the fresh air as Negan sped down the vacant dirt roads. They hadn't come across one walker. Not one, just a desolate, stretched road and she figured it was either cleared, or nobody had been there in the first place. It was far from civilization.

She hadn't felt that happy in a while. Even after the small quarrel with Vincent her heart was warm and buzzing and she was glad to be free, on the roads, with Negan driving her god knows where. He took strange twists and turns that her father had never taken her and she didn't know where she was. She didn't care. The undiscovered area was beautiful, natural, roaming with wildlife. They were lucky they hadn't killed anything yet, with the number of animals scurrying across the roads.

"Can we get out now?" She asked, placing her chin in her palm and squinting out the side window. Negan took a sharp turn making her swivel and roughly press against the glass. "Jesus, you're a horrible driver."

"I'm trying to find somewhere we can settle for a bit. Just hold on." He mumbled with a raspy voice. He sped up the car even more and the wind flew harshly through the slit in the window. She scowled and rolled it up.

"That wasn't a sign to speed up. God, you're gonna get us killed. Did you even have a license before all this?" She tilted her head, breaking her stare from the length of trees aligning the endless road. Negan's face crinkled in the slightest as he peered through the dirtied glass, littered with squashed bugs and dirt.

"Of course. I'm a fucking amazing driver." He jerked his head back and adjusted his seat so that he was comfortable. Vada did the same, gripping the handle just below her chair and pulling it back.

"How many tickets have you gotten?" She asked, her lips twisting slyly. She noticed a slight roll of the eyes from him, fleeting, but with vexation.

"A few," he muttered, twisting the wheel.

"Mhm." She snickered, tilting her head to peer out the side window. It looked the same as it had, different trees, different birds and a slight difference in hue, but identical. The sounds of the chirping birds was dulcet. She seemed to find a new appreciation for those things when the world went to hell. If it had been three years before, she would have found it an annoying inconvenience.

"Would you look at that," Negan muttered, slowing down the joggling car and twisting into an opening in the woods. In front of them was a large log home, wide in length with an ornate, carmine rooftop in contrast to the dull oak walls. Everything seemed to be untouched, the windows, the silver, lustrous steps leading to the porch. It was absolutely stunning in an archaic sort of way.