chapter 26

"Are you sure this is enough?"

"Yes, and don't you even think about adding more."

"Why not?"

I sighed, resting the beater on the cake pan. "Because you shouldn't," I flatly told him. "You have to stick to measurements when you bake, Taehyung."

"Arasseo, arasseo." He sounded unconvinced as he mixed flour with the butter and sugar he had creamed beforehand.

A lot of things happened lately, and it kind of baffled me how time flew by that today was Aeri's 6th month celebration already. So here we were, under Taehyung's bright idea that we should bake a cake for Aeri.

Even Aeri was busy with the flour that Taehyung had accidentally dropped on her high chair's table. For all I know, he just wanted to see Aeri play with it. Now she had her arms and face covered with powder, and even on her hair. She'd be needing a bath later on.

A few minutes later, I placed the pans inside the oven, leaving it to bake while Taehyung and I cleaned up some of the equipment we wouldn't be using to ice the cake. Or more like I did, since Taehyung occupied himself with Aeri, letting her tiny hands sloppily slap his face with flour.

Everything went well, or so I hope that was actually the case. Minutes later, the aroma of disaster wafted around the kitchen. I squinted my eyes at Taehyung who just slid a glance at me, smiling innocently as he pushed Aeri's high chair far from the oven and carried her out of the kitchen.

Why am I not surprised?

And great! The batter was overflowing on the pan. I pulled the plug and wore my baking mittens.

I coughed for about a full minute, waving my hand in the air to dismiss the thin white smoke. After so, I basically just plopped both pans on the side of the sink, staring at them in horror.

Why did he even have an oven inside his apartment? Perhaps he got away with the gas stove and managed to befriend the appliance for when he had cooked breakfast before. But Taehyung and an oven only equated to danger. This should be kept away from him.

I pushed the stray hair away from my face, taking in a deep sigh for the mess I was just about to fight. Scrubbing anything burnt definitely called for a challenge.

A year and a half later, I was done—finally, thankfully. I could feel sweat trickling on my neck, and basically everywhere as I disposed the supposed to be cake that ended up as a tragic story I would like to entitle A Cake to Remember which we all owed to Taehyung.

As I wiped the beads of liquid on my forehead, I saw Taehyung leaning on the wall, arms crossed and a serious expression etched on his face. Probably deep in thought as well since he didn't even notice the way I almost flinched at his presence.

I cocked my head to the side, blinking expectantly at Taehyung and it took him about a second and a half to snap out of his trance

"What?"

My brows furrowed. "Uh, what do you mean what? You've been spacing out for a while now."

"Oh that? I was just thinking about what we should do with the icing."

I projected a hard look as I followed Taehyung with my eyes while he approached the icing.