TWENTY-TWO: DIVERT

Media: We Don't Talk Anymore – Charlie Puth (Ft. Selena Gomez)

Coe's POV

"Mmm, I think you should stay long as you need to." Heath grinned at me as he stabbed his fork into his plate and brought the cube of steak to his lips, "I could get used to this." He hummed.

I smiled, feeling a spread of warmth creep from my chest to my neck from being complimented by his words, "You've had my cooking before."

I briefly wondered when was the last time that Jared had properly commented on a meal that I cooked. I couldn't remember. Maybe that's why the butterflies in my chest was making such a flurry.

Heath rolled his eyes, "Only for supper, or snacks. Never a proper meal like this." He pointed to the food that was laid out on the table, "You've put some time into this."

I did, of course I did. I had so much time to myself. If I didn't do something, something complex, or something that need more time, I would have spent it thinking about Jared instead. I would do anything right now to keep Jared as the least of my worries.

"Well, think of it as payment for letting me sleep on your couch." I bit my lips, "Speaking of which, I should really pay you for letting me stay here." I played with the tag from my tea bag awkwardly.

Heath frowned, "No. I will not take a cent from you. I won't."

I shook my head, "I don't know how long more I'll be staying here. I might be staying here for a good long while, and I'm causing you so much inconvenience." I sighed, "Maybe I should get my own apartment."

Heath chuckled into his food, "You won't be able to get one."

I narrowed my eyes at him, offended, "I can afford an apartment, maybe not in this building. But I can afford one, or even two, elsewhere. I'll have you know that I just never got around to getting one because I've been living with Jared on his insistence!" I growled, annoyed.

Heath raised his arms in mock surrender, "Whoa. I'm not saying that you can't afford one." He blinked, "I know you have plenty of money to your name. I'm just saying that boss will probably prevent you from having one."

I froze, considering his words and realising that he was right. If it came down to it, Jared was more than capable, and definitely would make it extremely difficult for me to have a home in my name. This was one of his ways to make me reliant on him, I know.

Heath raised his brow cheekily at me knowing that I understood what he was trying to say.

I made a guttural noise at the back of my throat, "He needs to mind his own business." I pouted as I crossed my arms.

"You are his business." Heath stated simply.

I glared hard at Heath, who merely chuckled, "I am not his business. He can micro-manage his own company all he wants. I am not a part of it. I am human, my own person." I hissed, "Not his business."

Heath looked at me with a pointed look, "Well, alright."

I could hear the meaning of his words without actually hearing it. Fucking Jared needs to learn to treat a human being with respect. It's amazing how arrogant he had grown to be. How did I put up with his sorry ass for so long?

Right, I was blindly in love with the fool.

I startled slightly when Heath's phone buzzed and I watched as the older man stared at it for a few seconds, before glancing at me with a careful look, "Boss wants to know how you're doing and if you need anything." He explained, as he picked up his phone.