38

I actually took a day off school after the shooting. It was something I had regretted when my dad suffered me. He kept an eye on me the whole day and asked questions. A lot of questions.

The next morning, my dad drives me to school. He's taken a few days off work for me, even though I told him not to.

"Call me anytime if you change your mind about being in school." he says as I get out of the car. "But try to have a good day, I love you."

"Thanks dad," I breathe out, shutting the door then leaning down to look through the open window. "Love you too."

I get to the locker room and the girls stare at me. Monique makes her way up to me and hugs me.

"What are you doing here, hun?" she asks.

"I'm fine, I didn't get hurt or anything. I'm able to attend school." I say, getting irritated then apologize for it.

They leave the room once they were finished getting ready for workouts. I sit on the bench to tie my shoes until Leslie walks out of one of the stalls. She looks at me through the mirror she stood in front of.

"The other day was–"

"Something I don't want to talk about. Brennen was a hidden psychopath."

"Rylee, he had the gun point right in between your eyes." she turns around. "If that were me, I'd miss a whole month of school, traumatized."

"Yeah, but it wasn't you." I snap, standing up. "I'm just trying to finish school, so I can finally leave this hellhole."

"Even coach?" she asks, getting closer. "I took one look back to see the Rylee Eversteen kissing Coach Styles."

"I- you didn't see correctly."

"Yeah sure because someone needs CPR after getting shot." she says softly, walking past me. "Your secret is safe with me."

I follow Leslie's trail to the court and the girls were huddled together.

"Ladies," a voice appears behind me and I glance back to see Harry only a few feet away. He glances down at me, coughing softly. "Ry-Rylee, what are you doing here?"

"I'm here for workouts" I shrug.

"I'd thought you'd take a couple more days off and–"

"Why? Why should you be able to come back and not me." I snap. "I'm fine, okay?"

"I didn't mean- okay–" is all he says then trails off. "So only two more games."

"Then playoffs!" Monique cheers.

Harry chuckles. "Yes Kenneth, but keep in mind that we need to win these next two games. You know what that means?"

"More suffering." Abby groans.

"It'll be worth it though." Harry winks and I see Abby's cheek flush. I roll my eyes, looking back at Harry who had his eyes on me. "The volleyball team will finally have a trophy sitting in that trophy case. We can push those basketball and soccer trophies aside."

Monique cheers and her attitude spreads throughout the group of girls. I stay with my arms crossed, but forced a smile. Harry dismisses us to start stretching. Even though I kept my distance from anyone who would talk to me, Monique always found her way to me.

"Rylee, are you sure you're okay?" she whispers with her arm across her chest.

"I'm fine." I snap, scooting away.